Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
TA32 50 years (Read 7396 times)
alanh
YaBB Newbies

TA32 50 years
Dec 30th, 2018, 7:35pm

Today by date, tomorrow by day, saw the start of TA32 50 years ago.  It seems a strange starting date with New Years Day a few days later.  I do not remember if we had lectures on 1st Jan but I would suspect so. Doubt we would have received the generous holiday allowance!
405 Black and White was still going strong, 625 was taking over and BBC2 was about to celebrate 18 months in colour.
I doubt - even after a good night in the Club-that anyone was suggesting multiple colour TV channels direct to home from a satellite.  Definitely not arriving along your telephone line.  Telephone lines were used for phoning family and friends due to the mobile not being there.  
Obviously anything that anybody knew about 4K was it was over four times our salary!
I remember it as a good course with a good crowd.  Apart from one frequent "poster" on this site  (Richard), where are they all now?

IP Logged

Dickie Mint

Solihull, West Midlands
Re: TA32 50 years
Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 2018, 5:09pm

Indeed!

Did I really have to replace the brake shoes on my old Anglia van in the garage to travel home to Manchester?!  The facilities we had then.

I doubt very much that the training Wood Norton gave us stands today; it's all 'medja school'. As evidenced by the poor technical standards seen on programmes today.  

Alas, like everything else 'those were the days'.  We had a lot of fun though!

Did you find the VT Old Boys website, Alan?

There are two references to TA32. But is it the TA32 we know!:

TA32 Course Schedule & Exam Paper

ETD in the Spring of 1969 - TA32

Regards,
Richard

IP Logged

alanh
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - Jan 1st, 2019, 10:06pm

Yes, that was our TA32.  Not that I could answer them now - transistors, dual statndard tv  and what does Q5 even mean!
I see from the Timetable that we did at least get Easter off. I think I can put a face to about half of the lecturers.

I think I did the Television section rather than the Regions section even though I was going to a Region.  Initially I was to be a TA in London but that was changed just before the course started.  

The garage facilities were useful.  I remember having to fix something on my Ford Cortina the night before my final exam of my C Course.  Otherwise I wouldn't have made it to the boat in Heysham along with sacks of sprouts and carrots bought fresh for Christmas.

Yes, found the the VT Old Boys site and one or two others but no picts of TA32.  

Happy New Year

Alan

IP Logged

alanh
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - Dec 30th, 2020, 11:37am

TA32 started 52 years ago today!  Seems incredible to be saying that. Smiley

IP Logged

Dickie Mint

Solihull, West Midlands
Reply #4 - Jan 3rd, 2021, 9:34pm

Didn't get New Year's Day holiday then!

Hope you're keeping well, Alan.

Regards,
Richard

IP Logged

alanh
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - Jan 6th, 2021, 2:21pm

I'll send a PM

IP Logged

alanh
YaBB Newbies

Reply #6 - Dec 30th, 2022, 3:14pm

Who would have thought that 54 years later, a message could be left here.  Who in 1968 had heard of the Internet??   Progress is necessary but it is sad that things have moved on so much from our way, severe lack of courses and even most of the College has gone.  Long gone are the "good days"   However that is the way of it now.  Here's hoping we each have many of them left! Smiley

IP Logged

alanh
YaBB Newbies

Reply #7 - Dec 30th, 2023, 4:03pm

And now its 55 years!   Roll Eyes  Basic course around 405 lines B&W

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print