Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Future of RPI (Read 3575 times)
Knocking On
YaBB Newbies

North of Watford
Future of RPI
Jan 18th, 2020, 3:10pm

I see that the Chancellor has announced that a consultation on the shortcomings of RPI which was due to launch this month will launch on Budget day (11th March).

The consultation will take six weeks until April 22nd that is, and the Gov will respond before the summer recess.

Now I wonder what the response will be?

I think our upcoming April rise will be the final one based on RPI.

There has been talk of also scrapping CPI and inventing a new measure altogether for the purposes of increasing pensions only.
I did read about it a while ago but unfortunately cannot remember where.

IP Logged

JonW
YaBB Newbies

Re: Future of RPI
Reply #1 - Nov 26th, 2020, 9:47am

Yesterday the Chancellor announced that RPI was to be phased out over the next 10 years as a yield on U.K. gilts.
Also it seems that student loans for example will charge interest of CPI rather than RPI.

So far no mention I have seen re. pensions.
If RPI is no longer tabulated and published , how can it be used as a measure of inflation for anything or just a matter of selective use?
Clarification needed.

IP Logged

Dickie Mint

Solihull, West Midlands
Re: Future of RPI
Reply #2 - Nov 28th, 2020, 6:11pm

Quite an informative piece on the BBC website.

Here's an interesting bit:

Quote:
As a result, in 2030 RPI is likely to be aligned with another, newer, measure of inflation called CPIH, which is the Consumer Prices Index plus housing costs. This is generally lower, often by about 0.8%, although the gap is currently narrower.

Regards,
Richard

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print