Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
BBC Pay Lustig's view (Read 3960 times)
Administrator
YaBB Administrator

BBC Pay Lustig's view
Jan 14th, 2018, 10:53am

Robin Lustig asks in "The Observer"

"......why has BBC journalists’ pay gone haywire, and what can be done to put it right? "

The Administrator.

IP Logged

JohnW

Eggington, Bedfordshire
Re: BBC Pay Lustig's view
Reply #1 - Jan 14th, 2018, 2:44pm

... and then there's the small matter of the pay differential between those with Craft skills and "the Talent" that no one really wants to open up (once again)!!

Oh! Silly me! Those with Craft skills are the ones who can be/are "sold off" (or should that be sold out?) into servitude ... because any Tom/Dick/Harry in the field of Talent can successfully operate the equipment deployed nowadays, can't they!! Can't they?? [Your witness!]

And here's a question for all the old hands here:  Do you consider that the Managers of old (who didn't have the benefit of an MBA or similar Business qualification) were any 'worse' (or should that be 'less able to Manage people') than the more recent tranche of graduates brought in to make the organisation a better place?

[Grumpy mode - Off]

John-Westbury  
IP Logged

chris west

Spain
Reply #2 - Jan 15th, 2018, 6:07pm

The same people carping about BBC pay levels are the ones pushing for the corporation to compete in the open marketplace. Duuhh.....

IP Logged

Buntobox
YaBB Newbies

Edinburgh
Reply #3 - Nov 20th, 2022, 6:28am

Buntobox wrote on Nov 19th, 2022, 6:22pm:
And here's a question for all the old hands here:  Do you consider that the Managers of old (who didn't have the benefit of an MBA or similar Business qualification) were any 'worse' (or should that be 'less able to Manage people') than the more recent tranche of graduates brought in to make the organisation a better place?

My greatly appreciated boss of old, Alan Bunting of BH Glasgow, was a better manager in his sleep than the John Birt (that's B_I_R_T, pronounced C***) inspired jargon spouting imbeciles who replaced him, may he rest in peace.

In my last job, still broadcasting but not the BBC, a new manager was parachuted in who was an ex-BBC Birt-era type whose disruptive and distrustful management style rapidly earned him the nickname "Captain Chaos". I put up with his control freakery and bull**** for just under three years before I took early retirement. Two others of my vintage did the same within months of each other and of the four traditionally trained ex BBC people who are left, two of them are desperate to find a way over the wall to the getaway car.

The department, or "team" as this twit likes to call it, is now staffed by children with media studies degrees on short term contracts, none of whom know if they'll have a job in six months. A happy and well run department under the previous manager (who was old school and excellent) is now a stress-filled toxic environment.

Birt's Boys may have pleased the bean counters and the anti-Beeb politicians but they were an utter disaster for the morale of those who had to work under them.

And they're still wreaking havoc wherever they go.

Owner of the world's greatest collection of fourteenth century Italian explosions

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print