Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Darlings! (Read 2330 times)
Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Darlings!
Sep 26th, 2005, 4:04pm

This is taken from The Guardian:

Hayton quits BBC over 'personality clash'

by John Plunkett
Monday September 26, 2005

Veteran BBC newsreader Philip Hayton has quit the corporation after 37 years because of a personality clash with his co-presenter on News 24.

Hayton, who became a household name presenting the Six and Nine O'Clock News, said he was unable to continue presenting the weekday morning show with his co-host, Kate Silverton.

The BBC man was teamed up with newcomer Silverton earlier this year. But relations between the pair deteriorated to such an extent that Hayton has quit just halfway through his latest 12-month contract.

"It boils down to incompatibility," said Hayton, who was unable to resolve the matter with BBC management. "We did four hours of live TV every day, and you have to like each other."

Silverton's agent said Hayton's departure had come as a complete surprise. "I think this says more about Philip than it does about Kate," said Alex Armitage.

"This has come out of the blue, Kate had absolutely no idea about it. She has never had a problem with any other co-presenter. In fact, people seem to like to present with her because she's such a good journalist and such a good presenter."

Silverton previously presented BBC daytime shows including Big Strong Boys and Housecall. Armitage said: "Anyone who thinks you can't do entertainment as well as news is a dreadful snob."

Hayton, who has appeared on News 24 for around five years, is one of the channel's best-known faces. He co-hosted the 9am to 1pm show from Monday to Thursday, as well as a Sunday afternoon show by himself.

He has previously co-presented News 24 bulletins with Joanna Gosling and Anna Jones, who has since joined Sky News.

"Perhaps I was spoiled because we got on wonderfully well and I went to work with a spring in my step," he said.

"I think incompatibility sums it up and I don't think she would disagree with that," he said of Silverton.

"I have been at the BBC for 37 years and it is the first time I have had a problem like this. Maybe it is just the law of averages."

But he said he did not have any bitterness towards the corporation.

"I leave without any rancour or bitterness. Life is too short for that. The BBC is a wonderful outfit and is undoubtedly the world's finest news broadcaster. I am proud to have been a part of it, but it is also a quirky organisation and can be its own worst enemy."

Hayton said News 24 had been "transformed" in recent years. "The public is beginning to recognise it and it is a station going from strength to strength ... It sounds corny but it has been a privilege to work with such talented, dedicated and nice colleagues."

He said he had no immediate plans as to what he would do next. Silverton will be joined on the News 24 morning show by a new co-presenter, Simon McCoy, who joined the BBC from Sky News two years ago.

Silverton, who has co-hosted the morning show with Hayton for less than three months, joined the BBC after presenting stints on ITV's We Can Work It Out and Five morning talk show, The Wright Stuff. She has also fronted BBC1's Sunday morning religious strand, The Heaven and Earth Show.

She switched to a career in the media after training as a corporate financier for an investment bank in the City, and has also co-hosted BBC1's Breakfast show with Dermot Murnaghan.

A BBC News spokeswoman said: "Philip has chosen to leave the full time employment of the BBC. He may continue to work for us as a freelancer."

She would not comment on any personality clash between the two presenters.

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print