Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Derek Maggs (Read 4968 times)
fastmike
Ex Member

Derek Maggs
Nov 22nd, 2004, 8:33pm

Does anyone here remember Derek Maggs who worked in the newsroom in Bush House about 20 or 30 years ago?

Derek was just about totally bald when I knew him in the 70's so maybe looked older than he was.

He lived in Eltham somewhere, although I visited his home on more than one occasion I cannot remember the exact address.

Any news of him or his family, or any reminisensces would be very welcome.

IP Logged

Ian_Richardson
Ex Member

Re: Derek Maggs
Reply #1 - Nov 23rd, 2004, 10:20am

Derek Maggs retired from the World Service Newsroom staff about 1990 (I think) but continued his association for a period as a "re-tread", doing occasional shifts. He also continued his sideline as a printer, operating from a shed in his back garden. I recall that he died around the mid-90s from cancer.

He was a very popular member of the Bush House staff, and if you would like to know more, I can refer you to a couple of his close friends.

Ian Richardson

IP Logged

fastmike
Ex Member

Re: Derek Maggs
Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2004, 2:42am

Thanks for the reply - please email me the info or post it here - my email address is  "fastmicrosltd" which is at aol.com

I remember he had about 5 children including twins and a wife named Beryl - is she still living does anyone know?
Beryl was an exjournalist who I think had been also known as Johnny Johnson when she worked on a tabloid before having the kids.

I also once met a lady called Margaret I believe reputedly an ex-nun ? - with whom he had a friendship.

Any info gratefully received, I am so sorry to hear he is no longer with us.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print