Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
GARY LINEKER CONTROVERSY (Read 2168 times)
MB
Ex Member

GARY LINEKER CONTROVERSY
Mar 11th, 2023, 12:55pm

This is an extract from current BBC guidelines on impartiality:
"The risk is lower where an individual is expressing views publicly on an unrelated area, for example, a sports or science presenter expressing views on politics."
Food for thought.

IP Logged

V Meldrew
YaBB Newbies

Re: GARY LINEKER CONTROVERSY
Reply #1 - Mar 11th, 2023, 5:01pm

Well I don't want to enter into the rights and wrongs of the situation and I am not a football fan.

However, I think that the BBC could do better in saving the £1 million pounds spent on Lineker and spend that on the BBC Singers that are about to be disbanded....discuss.

IP Logged

John

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2023, 5:09pm

'However, I think that the BBC could do better in saving the £1 million pounds spent on Lineker and spend that on the BBC Singers that are about to be disbanded'

I have to agree with you. How can a talking head be worth that much?

IP Logged

V Meldrew
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - Mar 12th, 2023, 10:12am

It was revealed this morning that last nights MOTD viewing figures went UP!!  

Does that say something?  Does the average football fan actually need all that discusssion and post mortem on the matches?

IP Logged

JohnW

Eggington, Bedfordshire
Reply #4 - Mar 12th, 2023, 12:59pm

I'd put money on the fact that the increase in audience for that edition was because folk simply wanted to see what they were going to put on instead of 'GL and Co'.

Personally, I've no interest whatsoever in Football, so couldn't care either way (from that perspective) but I just feel that a big mountain has been created out of the smallest of molehills.
I do, however, concur with GL that what this Gov't are saying/doing over the boat people is frankly 'obscene' and they should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. But then he and his mates are really only Sports Presenters expressing their personal opinions - albeit publicly - on a political topic in an unrelated area to their 'professional' role.

Incidentally, I do also support the BBC Singers in their fight against disbandment - they've given the BBC many, many years of admirable service and support, and they deserve far better from the current management, who seem remarkably incompetent in their handling of 'contractors' (think Ken Bruce!). But the real responsibility for this decision lies ultimately with HM's Gov't in that they are the biggest bunch of philistines I've known in all my 70+ years! Not content with screwing over the Royal Opera company and forcing them to relocate (much against their will and better judgement by all accounts, the messing around with 'selling/not selling' Channel 4, etc.) they seem prepared to do their very worst to anything they perceive as 'creative' or artistic that they can't control - for their own benefit, and no-one else's!!

Whether Keir Starmer and his cohorts would/will be any better I know not, but I can't see them being (able to be) any worse!!

John-Westbury  
IP Logged

John

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - Mar 12th, 2023, 1:22pm

This may be getting a bit political so I'll just say that I think we should adopt the Australian scheme to deal with this overpopulation problem.

IP Logged

david en france

Old Whittington, Derbyshire.
Reply #6 - Mar 12th, 2023, 7:38pm

V Meldrew wrote on Mar 11th, 2023, 5:01pm:
Well I don't want to enter into the rights and wrongs of the situation and I am not a football fan.

However, I think that the BBC could do better in saving the £1 million pounds spent on Lineker and spend that on the BBC Singers that are about to be disbanded....discuss.

No discussion. Too much "sport", far too little music and the arts (other than a certain late night occasional and unwatchable indulgence that I can't abide). The BBC Singers, the orchestras, are a national treasure. Robin Boyle will be spinning in his grave.  Whatever happened to "Light Music"?   But I am only applying Savlon to a very seriously sore and possibly fatal  wound.
Quality went out of the windows of BH a long time ago. I weep for the standards of yesteryear.  Embarrassed

IP Logged

david en france

Old Whittington, Derbyshire.
Reply #7 - Mar 12th, 2023, 7:41pm

John wrote on Mar 12th, 2023, 1:22pm:
This may be getting a bit political so I'll just say that I think we should adopt the Australian scheme to deal with this overpopulation problem.

Not forgetting that Australia is a Continent, not a very seriously over crowded island. 3 million new homes need to be built? Why? No new infrastructure, reservoirs, schools?    All in the name of cheap, imported labour?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print