Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
BBC Genome . Is it any good? (Read 2451 times)
Burstner55
Ex Member

BBC Genome . Is it any good?
Dec 23rd, 2020, 8:00pm

Just tried trying to clarify my memory of a programme on R4 I produced in December 1991. Hopeless search engine. What is the point of it if it doesn't work?

IP Logged

TomT
YaBB Newbies

Hythe Kent
Re: BBC Genome . Is it any good?
Reply #1 - Dec 24th, 2020, 11:01am

I have found it does work but you have to think like a computer and put in the exact key words.

IP Logged

Richard_B
YaBB Newbies

Kent
Reply #2 - Dec 24th, 2020, 11:06am

It's an excellent research facility - and by and large it does work. Very well.

The problem is that a lot of the data has been uploaded in the form of OCR  material scanned from the Radio Times, so you end up with two problems. 1) The information wasn't included in the Radio Times in the first place and 2) OCR does misread text, especially when the original printing isn't that great in the first place. A lot of this is explained on the Genome site.

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/about

The team has already made a HUGE number of manual corrections and members of the public can make their own edits if they spot incorrect information.

What was the programme you were looking for?

IP Logged

Burstner55
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 26th, 2020, 8:36pm

I found it! Thank you ! It was "Cold Turkey"....the Today replacement on Boxing Day 1990.  I recall we couldn't find a celeb to present it...we tried many people and Stuart Hall, for instance, said "You must be joking, I'll be rat-arsed" but we did find a great combination....Carole Thatcher and John Peel's producer, the fabulously droll John Walters and we did OB inserts from Broadway (Glos) (Thank you Sue Beardsmore) , a moorside in Lancashire, (Thank you David Prest)and other bizarre stuff...it was great fun but I'm not sure we had any listeners. Best bit was Carole Thatcher giving her mum's adversary David Blunkett a ski-ing lesson in his Brightside (Sheffield) Constituency. What a great time to be a producer at W1A. I wish I could hear a recording. Does Genome do that?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print