Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
BBC Iplayer functionality (Read 3019 times)
WG

Hitchin
BBC Iplayer functionality
Nov 3rd, 2020, 9:28am

I have a choice of demand services on my smart tv, Humax freesat box and Amazon Firestick. I have full functionality across all these platforms when accessing standard apps like YouTube, Netflix, Amazon plus of course All4,C5 and ITV hub--but there is one culprit which refuses to offer stable service ,even on standard settings-with hardly a viewing going by without experiencing a drop out or extended buffering.Yes--you've guessed it--BBC Iplayer.
Since there is nothing wrong with my internet speed, I have excellent wifi proven by good functionality across three different devices and all other apps working properly on those three devices-I am concluding that there is something amiss with Iplayer. Am I the only one experiencing this?
Is there someway this can be fed back to those responsible? I am absolutely convinced I am doing nothing wrong with my equipment, which-as explained is fully operational. I even get good stable functionality when using Iplayer on an iPhone and iPad.
Why though is Iplayer so unreliable on all three of my tv hub devices which play all other apps perfectly?
All suggestions most welcome.    

Mr Playlist

IP Logged

Burstner55
Ex Member

Re: BBC Iplayer functionality
Reply #1 - Nov 3rd, 2020, 5:31pm

Is it the same whether you're getting Iplayer directly off the smart tv or any of the other devices (Humax has its own Iplayer feed, for instance). Is your tv connected to your router by LAN or wifi?   LAN would be better.  Is your router near your tv?  Maybe too near?   All of these things can affect Iplayer which, I get the impression, takes up more bandwidth than other assets. I was having a similar problem which a BT engineer cured when he cut off a redundant phone socket in a bedroom!!    I am getting 35Mb broadband from copper (fibre to cabinet) and don't get any buffering now.   Incidentally, as I am sending stuff to YouTube every week during Covid I do notice that when my wife is watching Iplayer it takes up so much bandwidth that the upload takes twice as long and sometimes fails altogether.

IP Logged

WG

Hitchin
Reply #2 - Nov 17th, 2020, 5:34pm

Sorry for the delay in response.
Thanks for reply-most interesting re BBCIplayer taking up more bandwidth.That's a new one on me.
It's just not practical using LAN with my room set up-and in any case I know it usually works with wifi--because I experienced excellent non buffering playback for over a year on my set up until this autumn. Re your other point re which device is delivering the poor performance-my BBC Iplayer buffering occurs on my tv, satellite box and Firestick-all 3.
All other apps on all 3 devices work perfectly at all times.

Mr Playlist

IP Logged

Burstner55
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 17th, 2020, 5:53pm

Only one thing I can add is that as a result of my weekly Youtube activities, which also involves someone sending me large video files via a thing called Sendy, we have both noticed that if we are doing these large file uploads and downloads during the evenings when  it seems millions of soccer fans are watching a game on TV due to Covid,  then it is absolutely hopeless. One night during the summer Man Utd were in some big match and neither of us could send anything anywhere....then miraculously at 10pm the net resumed "normal service".   He is in semi rural Lancashire, I am in semi rural Derbyshire !   Weird !  Given that the games are on Netflix, Sky etc etc...that is possibly a reason?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print