Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sky plots to take on BBC and ITV with local news (Read 1899 times)
Dickie Mint

Solihull, West Midlands
Sky plots to take on BBC and ITV with local news
Dec 19th, 2019, 11:51am

this is money story here

Odd this.  I'm sure I've read that itv asked Ofcom to be allowed to reduce its local news output.

Also that itv fudge the hours it broadcasts it by repeating regional news overnight?

Regards,
Richard

IP Logged

simonm
YaBB Newbies

Bristol
Re: Sky plots to take on BBC and ITV with local news
Reply #1 - Jan 18th, 2020, 7:53am

Dickie Mint wrote on Dec 19th, 2019, 11:51am:
this is money story here

Odd this.  I'm sure I've read that itv asked Ofcom to be allowed to reduce its local news output.

Also that itv fudge the hours it broadcasts it by repeating regional news overnight?

It's a bit bizarre. AFAIK ITV hasn't had local output based in Bristol for a decade or more. They do offer local news, but the set is a rabbit hutch size, identical to the Midlands output (which we can see on Freeview HD). I think it comes from Cardiff. I haven't any idea what its viewing figures are, but they must be pitiful. It seems like a throwback to the days of mute film in news.

With the demise of our daily newspapers here, we are left with a couple of web sites that could easily be confused with the red tops of old (were they in print). It's hard to see where accountability of public services, etc. comes from nowadays.

If Sky did this well, and was prepared to make the considerable investment and ongoing funding commitment, the BBC would have an interesting time keeping up.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print