Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
BritBox (Read 2872 times)
Administrator
YaBB Administrator

BritBox
Jul 19th, 2019, 8:54am

BritBox is on its way.....

According to the ITV Press statement here,

"Full stream ahead for BritBox in UK as ITV and BBC sign agreement

ITV and the BBC have now signed an agreement to launch BritBox in the UK in the fourth quarter of this year.  This is a bold, new step for ITV and BBC as they seek to work together to offer something fresh and distinctive to the public.

- BritBox will be competitively priced at £5.99 per month in HD and across multiple screens and devices, which is less than other streaming services.

- BritBox will be full of the nation’s favourite programmes and the home of the largest collection of British boxsets. In addition to this storehouse, BritBox is commissioning a broad range of original series made exclusively for BritBox.  

- The brand-new streaming service will be co-branded by ITV and the BBC and will showcase the depth and breadth of British creativity, on demand, ad free and all in one place."  

A similar BBC Press Office Statement is here.

The BBC News web-site features the new SVOD service here.

"The BBC and ITV tried to launch something similar a decade ago, but were blocked by regulators. Now they are trying to catch up with their heavyweight competitors. Netflix has more than 150 million subscribers worldwide and reportedly spent $12bn (£9.5bn) on programmes last year."

The "Radio Times" has a Q&A feature here.

SVOD:-

"Streaming or Subscription Video On Demand"

The Administrator.

IP Logged

WG

Hitchin
Re: BritBox
Reply #1 - Jul 19th, 2019, 10:31am

Not optimistic -but let's see how it does?
I'm pretty sure that even tv gorging households will budget  for one -and one only TV subscription( eg Netflix) and will-I suspect be reluctant to fork out for something that sort of looks-but isn't like- "free" Iplayer and ITVHub.

Be interesting to see what political questions Britbox raises in relation to the future of the Licence fee too plus of course the ongoing argument of free tv licences for the over 75's.

The serious future surely is a voluntary subscription model to replace the licence fee . Level One -current licence fee customers with the option of upgrading to Level 2-access to Iplayer and Britbox.

Oh yes-and if and when BBC Sounds properly competes with Spotify/Apple/ Amazon( no threat yet!) -maybe there will be a monthly £charge for that too?  

Mr Playlist

IP Logged

WG

Hitchin
Re: BritBox
Reply #2 - Aug 22nd, 2020, 4:35pm

Sorry to post for the second time on this. I keep getting e-mails from BritBox encouraging me to subscribe--so I spent a little while trying to explore just what content this app ACTUALLY has . Yes-there are a few box sets( nice!)-but from what i can see, the application is a combination of archive and quite new programmes from Iplayer, ITVHub,All4 and C5. The latter 4 providers all ALREADY-through standard demand services- providing "free content" although of course you have to have your BBC Licence fee for Iplayer and tolerate ad interruptions.
I'm not sure its worth subscribing to Britbox ,particularly as many, including me already contribute to Netflix and Amazon Prime and thoroughly enjoy BBC Iplayer. Furthermore for those with surf time on their hands, YouTube has rich free pickings of all sorts of archive TV greats which are easily bookmarkable for future viewing.
I just might have been tempted -during lockdown-had Britbox offered a 3 month free subscription ( Like Apple Music) rather than a dreary 30 day rigmarole.Lost opportunity?
I wonder how many paying subscribers they've got and if they've had any feedback.

Mr Playlist

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print