Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Camera Crew 14 1970 (Read 5253 times)
Douglas
YaBB Newbies

Derbyshire
Camera Crew 14 1970
Jul 16th, 2019, 9:13pm

Upon starting at TVC after Evesham (TO32) I was very fortunate to be assigned to Camera Crew 14 1970.

Senior Dave Mutton was brilliant, and an excellent tutor.
If I can remember names:
#2 Keith Salmon
#3 Peter
#4 John ?

Keith & Peter would sit down with me and go through my training.
John, used to always have his zoom control vertical !
He taught me all about pivot points.

Sound
#1 Cuddly with beard, great person
#2 Boom op ( for 19 years? )

Excellent crew, they taught me so much, and trusted me.

I was given cameras to operate very early on.
Drama & Current Affairs crew

During down time & days off, I would wander around the studios and watch what was going on.
I learnt a lot.

Audience shows, rehearsals, some where to sit !

IP Logged

chrism
YaBB Newbies

Re: Camera Crew 14 1970
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2019, 8:49am

Hi,

I was on Crew 14 for a number of years as one of the Boom Ops, along with John Hurley.
Dave Mutton sadly passed away some years ago. He was one of the great Senior Cameramen and it was a wonderful crew to be on as there was a great relationship between sound and cameras. I think Keith Salmon went to Pebble Mill.

The SA1 (Sound Assistant 1) on the Crew was Mike Cotton. He went on to work for the Topical Programme Unit in his later years with the BBC.  We kept in touch after his retirement, but sadly he died a couple of years ago.

IP Logged

Bill Jenkin

Reply #2 - Oct 17th, 2019, 10:36am

I think the Peter on crew 14 at that time may have been Peter Levers. He later became a floor manager. He also went to the Topical Production Centre. After retirement he went back to his home town Bodmin. I had heard that he had passed away but can't be 100% certain.
Th John in question and this just a guess might have been John Christie, he had his panning handle vertical - something encouraged by Jim Atkinson (crew 5). John Christie had spent a lot of his time on Crew 5. He later went freelance.

IP Logged

Douglas
YaBB Newbies

Derbyshire
Reply #3 - Oct 17th, 2019, 11:45am

chrism wrote on Oct 17th, 2019, 8:49am:
Hi,

I was on Crew 14 for a number of years as one of the Boom Ops, along with John Hurley.
Dave Mutton sadly passed away some years ago. He was one of the great Senior Cameramen and it was a wonderful crew to be on as there was a great relationship between sound and cameras. I think Keith Salmon went to Pebble Mill.

The SA1 (Sound Assistant 1) on the Crew was Mike Cotton. He went on to work for the Topical Programme Unit in his later years with the BBC.  We kept in touch after his retirement, but sadly he died a couple of years ago.

Thanks for the info Smiley

IP Logged

Douglas
YaBB Newbies

Derbyshire
Reply #4 - Oct 17th, 2019, 11:48am

Bill Jenkin wrote on Oct 17th, 2019, 10:36am:
I think the Peter on crew 14 at that time may have been Peter Levers. He later became a floor manager. He also went to the Topical Production Centre. After retirement he went back to his home town Bodmin. I had heard that he had passed away but can't be 100% certain.
Th John in question and this just a guess might have been John Christie, he had his panning handle vertical - something encouraged by Jim Atkinson (crew 5). John Christie had spent a lot of his time on Crew 5. He later went freelance.

Thank you,
Yes Peter Levers spent a lot of time mentoring me.
John Christie, we got on very well, had some great operational chats.

Thank you very much for the excellent update to my query. Smiley

IP Logged

Douglas
YaBB Newbies

Derbyshire
Reply #5 - Oct 17th, 2019, 11:52am

chrism wrote on Oct 17th, 2019, 8:49am:
Hi,

I'm pretty sure I worked with (rotund) Mike Cotton on OB's 10+ years ago. He certainly gave me a great welcome when we bumped into each other on a large OB.

Thank you very much for the excellent update to my query. Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print