Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
BBC OUT OF FOCUS (Read 1921 times)
Roundabout

BBC OUT OF FOCUS
May 21st, 2019, 9:33am

Has anyone else noticed the increasing use of out of focus pictures on BBC TV programmes? In these days of giant screens and HD the best our erstwhile programme providers can do is to throw the focus handle away! Whilst there may in some few cases such as restrictions identifying people for legal reasons now whole frames of people conducting interviews are thrown out of focus to give us a flower or something in the foreground. even the Weather broadcasts de-focus simply to superimpose a title or graphics which is totally unnecessary! With loss-of sync-bumps used as picture transitions, film scratches superimposed on anything from the archives, Excessive jumps in levels between pres. and programmes and still inaudible sound in drama it really begs the question "Is anybody responsible watching output at all?"

IP Logged

Knocking On
YaBB Newbies

North of Watford
Re: BBC OUT OF FOCUS
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2019, 8:00am

At last it's not just me!

I have come to the conclusion that as far as soft focus is concerned,that maybe the cameramens....sorry camerapersons  eyesight doesn't have to be as good as it once was needed to be!

It seems maybe we were wasting our time making sure the output was as sharp as it could be for 405 and 625 CRTs which were soft to begin with.....if we still had them they would be pretty unwatchable.

As you say now we have massive HD screens THE IDEA of a sharp picture seems foreign.

As for the sound I do my own mixing via the remote....and subtitles of course!.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print