Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
iPlayer Changes (Read 9529 times)
Amigo

iPlayer Changes
Sep 30th, 2013, 2:12pm

There have been some changes to the well respected and well utilised iPlayer.

In the interest of 'simplicity', the BBC iPlayer no longer has a "Series Record" facility.

There was no publicity to this change, which took place a couple of days ago.

In order to reduce the technical problems created by "Adobe Air" software, the BBC iPlayer now has 'simplified' and so now can only record specified programmes after broadcast, it can no longer schedule "Series Record" for future programmes.

According to the BBC Internet blog by Dan Taylor, the "Series Record" facility was used by a very small number of viewers.

The ensuing comments have caused this statement to be queried.

So, from now on, the BBC iPlayer Desktop is no more.
You must use BBC iPlayer Downloads.

Previous programmes recorded under the iPlayer Desktop will remain until they expire.

Beware of this under-publicised change.

For more information:-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/posts/BBC-iPlayer-Downloads

There are a lot of VERY unhappy people out 'there'.

IP Logged

JohnW

Eggington, Bedfordshire
Re: iPlayer Changes
Reply #1 - Sep 30th, 2013, 3:20pm

.. as well as some here!!!!

What started out as a good/very useful bit of software is now becoming a right pain in the butt!!
Perhaps it won't be long before they start using a version of YouTube to see their programmes. [Having said that, there's been a dearth of anything really worth watching of late, and my Blu-ray player has seen more use than I can remember before!]

John-Westbury  
IP Logged

WG

Hitchin
Re: iPlayer Changes
Reply #2 - Dec 13th, 2013, 10:02am

I notice that within my new SKy NowTV streamer box that BBC Iplayer is the only app that constantly buffers when streaming. 4od and Demand 5 are fine-which suggest that download speed is not a big issue-particularly since I have affixed Iplayer to the low quality streaming option.
I am playing the box through the AV preference and not the HD option.
Why does this stopping and starting happen please-and who is the named person I should e-mail who deals with such Beeb Iplayer matters who might give me an informed specific reply?
Sky deny there is an issue-but that does not surprise me

Mr Playlist

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print