Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Chair (Read 3896 times)
Administrator
YaBB Administrator

New Chair
Apr 5th, 2007, 6:57pm

Sir Michael Lyons has been appointed Chair of the BBC Trust, the body that has replaced the old Governors of the BBC.

This are his biographical details, released by the BBC:

Sir Michael Lyons is Chairman of the English Cities Fund (since 2002) and recently completed the "Lyons Inquiry" into the functions and funding of local government (published March 2007).

He is a former Deputy Chairman and Acting Chairman of the Audit Commission (2003 to 2006) and was Professor of Public Policy at Birmingham University (2001 to 2006). He was knighted in January 2000 for Services to Local Government after serving as the Chief Executive of three major local authorities: Birmingham City Council (1994-2001); Nottinghamshire County Council (1990-1994) and Wolverhampton Borough Council (1985-1990). He has also chaired or been a member of a number of public sector bodies and working groups.

Michael Lyons is Chairman of the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra and a Governor of the Royal Shakespeare Company. He is a former non-executive director of Central Television Ltd (2003 to 2006); and until recently was Chairman of the Regional Advisory Council for ITV.

Michael Lyons' early career was as an economist working in the public sector, and this followed lecturing economics at the University of Nottingham and Wallbrook College London. He was an elected member (Labour) of Birmingham City Council from 1980 to 1983. Whilst completing his formal education, he worked for two years as a part-time street trader at Bell St Market in London.

Michael Lyons was educated at Stratford Grammar School (London), Middlesex University, and at Queen Mary College University of London. He is 57, married, with three grown-up children.

Michael Lyons is non-executive director of MouchelParkman plc, Wragge & Co, and SQW Ltd. He will divest himself of any other significant responsibilities or interests and declare all remaining interests in the BBC Trust's register before taking up his appointment on 1 May 2007.

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Re: New Chair
Reply #1 - Apr 5th, 2007, 6:59pm

This is the text of a statement read out by Sir Michael at a news conference:

Thank you all for coming and thank you for the warm welcome I have had, particularly from Mehmuda and David, as well as Jana and all the other members of the Executive.

Let me begin by saying what a great privilege it is to be appointed Chairman of the BBC Trust. I am delighted to have this opportunity to make a contribution to what is undoubtedly the UK's most important cultural institution.

Indeed, now is a particularly exciting time for the BBC. The new Royal Charter places new demands on everyone involved –not least the important job of getting to grips with new governance arrangements. But it's the increasingly complex and converging media world which presents the biggest challenges and is the background against which we will work in the future.

What does this mean for the BBC Trust?

As the BBC's sovereign body – or parent body as I think of it – the BBC Trust's duty is very clear. We must ensure that the decisions we take represent the interests of those who matter most. The public. The people who own the BBC.

Every member of the UK public pays the same licence fee and each has equal ownership. No institutional shareholders demanding their dividend, or advertisers demanding schedules designed only to deliver ratings. Just the public rightly demanding great programmes which inform, educate and entertain in equal measure.

My job as Chairman of the Trust is to ensure that we listen to the many and varied views throughout the UK and seek to ensure that they are reflected in the work and output of the BBC. Here I believe I can bring both experience and enthusiasm from my earlier career. This is a complex nation with many different communities of place and of interest. It is vital to our future prosperity and the strength of our social fabric that the work of the BBC reflects and enriches that diversity as well as the values and history that we share together.

I join a strong and talented Board which under the leadership of Chitra Bharucha has already begun to demonstrate its effectiveness. We will continue to reach our decisions collectively, acting independently of BBC management, but with a shared understanding of the important job the BBC does both at home and abroad.

It is inevitable that our decisions – informed properly by analysis, evidence and judgement – will sometimes disappoint BBC management, sometimes will disappoint the commercial sector, and sometimes disappoint both. But we will be transparent and always justify our decisions with clear explanations. No-one should ever be in doubt that the people we serve are the public who pay for and own the BBC.

Under my leadership the Trust will continue to:

* safeguard the BBC's editorial independence and ensure that it is impartial, never allowing any individual, organisation or body of opinion to gain too much influence;
   * respect each £135.50 annual licence fee by ensuring it is invested wisely and that the BBC demonstrates efficiency in all of its activity;
   * ensure the BBC operates fairly, that it is aware of its own strength in the market, listens to the commercial sector and responds by making changes where doing so will ensure better public value; but most of all, we will
   * set a bold and exciting public service challenge to the BBC - asking it to draw on all its creative skills to provide the very best quality, most original programmes possible with the monies available to it.

The Trust's role is to set the strategic direction for the BBC. We have to follow the six purposes laid out in the Charter and our task is to set clear priorities to guide the Corporation and to keep it focused on its key responsibilities throughout the Charter period.

In doing our job, the Trust will recognise the important contribution the BBC makes to UK plc in terms of income, innovation and reputation. But the responsibility of the Trust is to set clear boundaries so that the BBC uses its considerable economic power with care for the interests of other parties.

Over the next few months the Trust must decide how the licence fee will be invested during the first 6 years of this Charter. We will be informed by the results of the Trust Unit’s first major survey of public opinion about the BBC’s priorities. The BBC management is developing options which it will present to the Trust before the summer. I spoke to Mark Thompson a second time yesterday afternoon and I look forward to learning more as he develops his ideas.

It's clear to me that some radical thinking is underway. Whilst this may have been prompted by the licence fee settlement I am in no doubt that it is the right response to longer term challenges in both markets and digital technology. This debate provides an exciting opportunity, I think, to consider how the licence fee might best be used to meet the public's growing expectations.

Before closing, I would like to take this opportunity to add my own voice to the previous requests made to those who have influence, for the swift and safe return of Alan Johnston to his family, friends and colleagues.

The BBC Trust might necessarily be independent in its decision-making, but it should never be detached from the responsibilities and risks which its journalists and staff face in doing their jobs.

As I said earlier, it is a great privilege to be appointed Chairman. My first priority will be to learn more about what the public expects from its BBC. What people love, what they don’t like, what they value, take pride in, want more of, and sometimes perhaps want less of. The public has a right to expect great things from this great cultural institution. The BBC cannot please everyone with every programme, nor should it seek to. But it has a duty to deliver experiences of quality and value in return for each licence fee it receives.

The BBC is undoubtedly the UK's foremost cultural institution and the UK's best known and highest regarded international brand. It will only remain so, if it delivers on the public's expectations and justifies their continuing confidence and support.

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Re: New Chair
Reply #2 - Apr 6th, 2007, 6:58am

This is taken from The Guardian:

Lyons vows impartiality
by Tara Conlan
Thursday April 5, 2007

New BBC chairman Sir Michael Lyons has insisted he is not close to chancellor Gordon Brown and promised "independence and impartiality".

Confirmed today as the 21st chairman of the BBC, the ex-street trader and kennel boy set out his stall at a press conference at BBC Broadcasting House, saying, "I don't think anybody needs to be afeared of my appointment."

Admitting that he is more of a radio man than a keen television viewer, Sir Michael batted away suggestions that his appointment was the result of political connections.

He said the vacancy created by his predecessor Michael Grade leaving for ITV had just come at a "fortuitous" time for him, as he had just finished a review of local government funding for Mr Brown.

"It's certainly true he's asked me to do three jobs for him and I've done them to the best of my ability. That's where it begins and ends," said 57-year-old Sir Michael.

"I'm coming on now to a different role and I will deliver absolute independence and impartiality."

But he insisted his work in local government stands him in good stead for dealing with the issues engulfing the publicly-funded BBC.

"Working in public services, all these issues in my past are relevant to my job," he said.

Despite being renowned for carrying out reviews, Sir Michael said he would not be kicking off with one at the BBC, though he is keen to hear what licence fee payers want to see and hear.

On his own viewing tastes, he said the nature of his life means, "I sample more radio than TV".

He said he is "fervent supporter of Radio 4. I wake up with Today. I listen to Analysis and The Moral Maze. One of the things I cherish about Radio 4 is its ability to bring new comedy forward" - though he failed to mention any shows.

On his favourite television programmes he was a little more hesitant, saying he enjoyed dramas.

"In the last week I've enjoyed Persuasion though that's on a different channel [ITV1]", he added hurriedly.

But he picked up kudos by singling out BBC1's Life On Mars for having some of the "best one-liners I could hope for". Channel 4's mafia drama The Sopranos is another favourite and "shows what we can learn from American TV".

Undoubtedly an economist, Sir Michael admitted he had no programme-making experience but said he there were already many people at the BBC who did.

On the thorny issue of highly-paid presenters, such as Jonathan Ross, the new BBC chairman declared, "high salaries always bring about public anxiety".

He said the BBC was operating in a commercial market to "draw talent that the British public want to watch and pay for that" and that BBC management were grappling with the issue.

Though he delivered a shot across their bows by warning: "If the trust feels there's something it wants to say, then we'll say it."

It was always going to be a tough act for Sir Michael to follow the ebullient Michael Grade.

His safe answers were in contrast to Mr Grade's showmanship at his first press conference.

Sir Michael also showed his ability to remain "on message" - perhaps more than his predecessor.

When asked what he thought of the BBC's lower-than-expected licence fee - widely seen as being imposed by the chancellor - Sir Michael batted away the question.

"I don't have to have a view on this because that's history, that's been decided," he said.

He also successfully swerved the new media and competition issues facing the BBC, namely the proposal to put adverts on BBC.com and the suspension of online education service BBC Jam, by saying there is not enough evidence to make a decision on their futures yet.

On how the relationship with the BBC Trust and the corporation's management will be under his stewardship, Sir Michael said it would be like that of a good parent, "supportive of their offspring but also questioning what they do".

He admitted the BBC has been seen sometimes as "too focused on London" and welcomed the planned move of some departments to Manchester.

Despite his charm offensive at the press conference, Sir Michael seemed a little rankled by the fact journalists keep bringing up the fact he was once a market trader off London's Edgware Road, rather than his career as a professional economist.

But, renowned for his geniality, he joked his way out of it, saying: "I'm not seeking a part in EastEnders."

He also revealed he used to be a "kennel boy", going on to admit he should not have said that as it might lead to "Ex-greyhound fancier heads BBC" stories.

However, he said his early jobs showed he was "an entrepreneur" who "needed to fund my way through a masters in economics".

Although he made a nervous start to the press conference - his first joke about his appointment being one of the worst kept secrets in the media world was greeted by a tumbleweed silence - he warmed up and was less of the "grey bean counter" that some rivals had suggested.

Smiling and sporting a bright yellow tie, he seemed keen to make a better first impression than the last economist to run the BBC, Gavyn Davies - though staff admiration for Davies grew throughout his tenure.

Sir Michael made just one glaring error - referring to the absent director general Mark Thompson as "Mark Thomas".

However, it did not seem to faze Sir Michael and he rounded off his first outing as BBC chairman by saying proudly: "I believe I'm going to be an excellent chairman of the trust."

The 25,000 staff at the BBC facing an uncertain future no doubt hope he will.

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print