Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Club in crisis (Read 3446 times)
Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Club in crisis
Jan 12th, 2006, 6:58am

This is taken from Ariel, w/c 9/1/06:

CLUB SELLS PRIME ASSETS TO AVERT CASH CRISIS

Albert Hall box brings in £500,000 and Brighton flat will have to go
by Clare Bolt

Eighteen months of financial pressure have forced the BBC Club in London to sell its box at the Albert Hall for half a million pounds to stay in business. The sale by auction of the prized asset with a 900 year lease was completed at the end of 2005.

With the sale of the club's flat in Brighton also expected to go through soon, some members have complained that the 'family silver' is being sold off.

Despite the unpopularity of the sales, club chairman Andy Baker insists that without the disposals the outlook for the club would have been 'bleak'.

Income dropped 13 percent from 2004 to 2005 as job cuts helped push membership down.

'It is a case of doing the best we can, however unpalatable, to make sure that the club continues,' he says.

'We got to a situation where expenditure exceeded the income. We worked out that if we did nothing the cash flow would go into the negative and the club would be forced to cease trading.'

Each year the clubs in London and in the nations receive a total of £3m from the BBC, much of which is spent on charges such as rent and IT.

According to Paul Fiander, who is heading the Timeout survey into leisure provision at the BBC, a number of clubs outside London are also facing financial difficulties.

So how did a once flourishing set-up come to this? It seems that a combination of factors is to blame. Baker admits that the London club was not quick enough to act when BBC Technology was sold, and subs were no longer deducted from the payroll. This meant Siemens staff had to pay to rejoin and, unsurprisingly, most did not. Overnight the club lost most of its previous BBCT members.

It's a mistake that club executives were careful not to repeat when BBC Broadcast became Red Bee Media: they made a deal so that membership fees continue to be collected from the payroll. The closure of the Western House premises for two years during reconstruction also hit income badly.

In an upbeat interview with Ariel, Baker said the club is introducing a simplified booking and enrollment system online. Managers are also arranging deals for discounted West End theatre tickets to compensate for the loss of the Albert Hall box.

Restructuring started in 2004 and the club increased membership fees for the first time in three years (it now stands at £5 a year plus 0.3 percent of salary). Baker says the increase was a risk because 'the club is supposed to cater for everyone, from runners to managers'.

The ethos is to allow members to experience things that would be otherwise prohibitively expensive: the club still owns two yachts and has 40 sections in total. There are 16,336 members throughout the UK, including Siemens, LST and Red Bee.

Despite getting back on financial track, there are big challenges ahead, not least the 3700 staff post closures that will take effect between 2005 and 2007 are bound to hit membership.

Says Paul Fiander of the Timeout survey: 'We're not opposed to the club, but people may want something different from what is currently on offer.'

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Monica_Bear
Ex Member

Re: Club in crisis
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2006, 5:44pm

The reason, I think, as a retired ex-member of staff, as to the dilemma of the BBC Club is due to  the philosophy within the BBC and not necessarily about the way the BBC Club is run. When I worked at the BBC it was a creative hub where you spent all your time and much of your leisure time with fellow colleagues discussing ideas both in the office and in the canteen and in The Club. The following may explain what I mean, also, in order to make a positive spin and to try to sweep away an air of wanting to return to the past I will try to be positive.
On walking the other day into the Television Reception area I noticed the level of security. Not such a bad thing when you consider that vans could drive into the scene dock and load up with everything from Grand Pianos to cameras and never be seen again.
The receptionists seemed a bit bored but are more courteous than in recent days too, even though they did talk that funny management insincere speak you hear in banks and Hollywood movies: phrases like “Can I help you sir?”. However I had the impression that they were mostly not native to the UK and although the BBC, like us all, is part of the European Union it seemed strange that there was not a level of understanding of British television history amongst them either. I would have thought that this would be not necessary but desirable given that the very fabric of the Television Centre was to generate a knowledge and production of Television programmes. Even though the old style receptionists were a bit on the direct side they did seem to know everyone in the building. On wandering inside the hallowed halls the number of suits led me to believe that there wasn’t much television production going on either. The empty studios and standing sets this seems to confirm this.
The making of a television programme or film doesn’t take a huge team so in Margaret Thatcher's words "what are they all doing?" She had no idea what went on in a studio and the level of team staff that she criticised hasn’t changed much but the level of what must be called support staff seems huge, but not to have any staff in them begs the question are there any programmes being made here?

Upstairs the corridors were fairly empty too and perhaps the staff were out busy on location but looking into offices there were quite a few behind computers and around lunch time eating their lunch with sandwich in hand again behind a screen.
I went to club and found it was full of keep fitters so  off to the canteen or what is left of it.
I would suggest that the staff should likewise be in the canteen at lunchtime eating properly for their health but above all in a creative society of exchanging ideas and seeing other production people. In the past you would see your hero directors and producers cameramen and designers and here ideas would be exchanged and ideas generated either in the Club or the canteen.
If anyone remembers Kensington House Club or Canteen they will know what I mean and it was where the younger member of staff could be seen and encouraged to be tomorrows creative energy.
Whilst in the building on meeting a number of staff I was struck how they envied my position of having left the BBC as they felt frustrated by the way the managers above them did not seem to value them and that the system was hard to penetrate and cut through to get anything done. Not one that I met worked in Production either and had no idea how to get into making the programmes.
This wasn’t a scientific survey and perhaps not entirely fair but it does illustrate that staff have to know the reason that they are there and that is to be part of making television programmes. In the past you even felt the men on the gate knew they were there to help make the programmes. Only then will the Club be full.
Staff is the key to any organisation and although most management know this they seem not to put it into practice. The enemy is mostly from within for any organisation as also we know from recent past. The keen bright well dressed career managers seem to be on one particular roundabout after another and the staff left behind to pick up the bits.
We can say that times have changed but the vision given to staff and what their core function is is still paramount. I also heard that one department was offering two week contracts at the end of last year. The BBC should be ashamed of itself. How can the BBC Club satisfy a key organisation when loyalty and commitment, creatively or otherwise is missing?
I feel that things may be set to improve but there is much to do. I loved the BBC and still do, just, and above all, what I think it still should stand for. However where is the vision? The staff don't seem to know. The staff are off home as soon as they can get away.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print