Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Chairman's email to staff (Read 2208 times)
Administrator
YaBB Administrator

New Chairman's email to staff
May 17th, 2004, 6:17pm

It was a thrill to walk into the building this morning, part of the BBC team again. All I need to feel fully at home is my ID badge.

Like everyone who starts a new job - especially in a big organisation - I must admit to moments of feeling slightly daunted; so thank you to those I've met in my first couple of hours for the warm welcome. One of my first priorities is to get around as much of the BBC and meet as many of you as possible, as soon as possible, and I don't mean just the London part of the empire. Do give me a shout if you see me walking around, I'm the one with red socks (but no cigar these days).

Preparing to launch our contribution to the debate about our future, Charter Review, is something else I need to focus on immediately. I am reassured that work is well advanced and am pleased to be joining the team as we move to finalise the documents before publication.

We cannot take our privileged position as a 'cherished institution' for granted; we need to make a compelling case for the BBC to be allowed to continue as the unique, vibrant and creative organisation we know it to be. I look forward to leading the defence of the licence fee and the debate about our future - but I do need everyone who works for the Corporation to play their part in helping me to get that message across.

Once we launch our Charter documents at the end of June, I and others will be out on the road a lot, talking to various partners - existing and potential, members of the public and local politicians - so I will make sure I combine those trips with visits to regional BBC locations and talk to more of you face-to-face about this and anything else you want to raise.

Meanwhile, the very first priority for the Board of Governors will be to recruit a Director-General. All I can say today is that we are determined to announce the appointment as soon as possible.

I do not underestimate the effect of the recent difficulties on staff and I would like to thank Caroline Thomson and Stephen Dando for carrying out a sensitive task with integrity. Those difficulties are now behind us. But it is worth emphasising that some good came out of the storm, namely that the independence of the BBC, when tested, enjoys widespread and vocal public support. That is most heartening.

I commend everyone for maintaining the level of commitment throughout all parts of the BBC. My objective is to focus the Corporation on the future and the future for me starts today. I relish the prospect, and I know you will all strive to make my job that much easier by continuing to deliver the fullest public service of programmes available anywhere in the world. I am more thrilled than I can say to be part of the BBC's future.

Michael

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print