Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Now stand-in Chairman goes (Read 2221 times)
Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Now stand-in Chairman goes
Mar 31st, 2004, 6:19pm

The Acting Chairman of the BBC, Richard Ryder, has said he intends to leave the Board of Governors in the Summer.

The announcement comes just before the Department of Cullture Media and Sport is due to announce the appointment of a new Chairman, to succeed Gavyn Davies, who resigned after the Hutton Report into the Gilligan affair.

Richard Ryder, a former Tory Cabinet Minister, was never a candidate to take over as permanent chairman.

This is the text of BBC Press Release:

The following statement was issued today by Richard Ryder, Acting BBC Chairman, to the Board of Governors and members of the Executive Committee.

"As you know, I have not played a part in selecting the new BBC Chairman. I am unaware of his, or her, identity.

"You also know that the successful candidate, whose name will be announced soon, will receive my full support.

"I am exceptionally grateful to the Board, as well as the Executive under Mark Byford's leadership, for showing calm as well as strength and unity of purpose throughout my spell as Acting Chairman.

"In particular, may I thank you all for easing my task beyond measure with your personal kindness and encouragement.

We have despatched a wealth of business together over a short period in a spirit of optimism.

"I appreciate the attention given by the Board and Executive to the Charter Renewal paper due to be published in June. The quality of this document is key to the future shape of the BBC.

"I believe the latest ideas and contents, the result of extensive discussions during the past two months, make its potential stronger than ever.

"I look forward to continuing as Vice-Chairman until after the publication of the Charter document when, as many of you know, I shall retire from the Board to undertake other commitments which will be hard to combine with BBC duties in London.

"Between now and then, not only am I eager to ensure that the BBC produces an evolutionary Charter document blending vision and realism, but I also want us to take any necessary action in the wake of the Graf review of BBC online services, the first stage of the Ofcom review of public service television, and the DCMS review of digital services.

"We all face a busy Spring and Summer under a Chairman with whom I look forward to working closely, and to whom I shall give my full support."

Notes from BBC Press Office:

Richard Ryder has not been informed of the identity of the new Chairman.

On Tuesday 30 March he told the Secretary of State of his decision to retire from the Board later this year and stressed to the Secretary of State that the new BBC Chairman – whoever he or she is – will receive his full support.

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print