Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Poll Poll
Question: Who has got it right?

Peter Donaldson    
  18 (100.0%)
Roger Mosey    
  0 (0.0%)

Total votes: 18

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Donaldson v. Mosey (Read 6395 times)
Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Donaldson v. Mosey
Feb 20th, 2003, 10:41am

A spat has broken out in the pages of Ariel over Greg Dyke's "Making it Happen" initiative (which is supposed to create a "culture of positivity" in the BBC).

Peter Donaldson, the veteran Radio 4 announcer, wrote to protest about a pamphlet sent to all staff, advising them how to think and behave.

He said he had screwed up his copy and thrown it in the waste-bin.

Roger Mosey, head of television news, who was Team Leader of the Making it Happen project, has written a testy reply.

He called Peter Donaldson "sad and grumpy" and urged him to retrieve the pamphlet and read it carefully.

What do you think?  You can vote on the issue, or comment by clicking on "Reply" below.

The Administrator.

IP Logged

bearsie
Ex Member

Re: Donaldson v. Mosey
Reply #1 - Mar 23rd, 2003, 4:26am

Roger Mosey's reply to Peter Donaldson's reasonable stand against the BBC's thought police (We used to call them wankers in my day) is so typical of modern tv journos. Anyone who criticises the ruling News and Current Affairs "junta" and who is over 50 can see it as a career threatening move. For God's sake Roger !! When I worked with you , you were a good journo who would have done exactly what Peter did. I look at the guys who I enjoyed coming to work with only a decade a go. Steve Mitchell, Mark Byford,Richard sambrook, Roger Mosey, Kevin Marsh etc. Marsh apart (he is unsaveable!) you seem to undergo a brisk brainwash at White City ,or did the start with the creep Birt? Why can't Peter who has oodles of experience with News and other programmes express asensible partisan  view without being abused by you Roger? Sometimes it would be better to zip it and take a bit of criticism. I'm not worried about Peter, he can look after himself. I am concerned at the influence of you senior PC tossers on good young journo's of the future. Advice :Can it mate,stop being a plonker and get back to the real world.

Mike Farman ex BBC BH and Southampton now New Zealand.

« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2003, 3:20am by N/A »  

IP Logged

david_france
Ex Member

Re: Donaldson v. Mosey
Reply #2 - Jul 18th, 2003, 6:34pm

Wow!  I have only just seen this debate (July 18th because I have been too busy to look at the website) but I couldn't agree more.  I know both and have worked with both and, frankly, it's no contest . The debacle this week, culminating today in the Beeb asking on its news website - virtually - for people to speak out in its defence of the indefensible in the row with the Govt over the "dodgy dossier" shows how low the Corporation has sunk.   I listen, similarly, to BBC Solent's breakfast programme and hear the presenter saying lamely "Be a newsmaker, call our newsline"  to comment on their one and only news story - often not at all local - and recall that at BBC Radio Sheffield we used to have as many as seventeen news stories (Not bulletin items, packages!) keeping the late Michael Cooke on his toes and I weep.   It worries me that when the good ship Beeb sinks without trace my meagre and diminishing pension will go with it.  
Well said that man.  Now let's hear from the "silent majority".!
Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print