Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
BBC Payroll hacked (Read 1749 times)
Dickie Mint

Solihull, West Midlands
BBC Payroll hacked
Jun 5th, 2023, 6:04pm

MOVEit hack: BBC, BA and Boots among cyber attack victims

No mention of pensions being hacked so fingers crossed.

Quote:
Staff have been warned personal data including national insurance numbers and in some cases bank details may have been stolen.

The cyber criminals broke into a prominent piece of software to gain access to multiple companies in one go.

There are no reports of ransom demands being sought or money stolen.

In the UK, the payroll services provider Zellis is one of the companies affected and it said data from eight of its client firms had been stolen.

It would not reveal names, but organisations are independently issuing warnings to staff.

In an email to employees, the BBC said data stolen included staff ID numbers, dates of birth, home addresses and national insurance numbers.

Regards,
Richard

IP Logged

DMCP
YaBB Newbies

UK
Re: BBC Payroll hacked
Reply #1 - Jun 6th, 2023, 7:12am

This is precisely the reason why I have refused to sign up to myPension, despite being assured by the good people at Cardiff that it's absolutely 100% safe!

Take a hundred lines: Nothing is safe on the Internet!

IP Logged

david en france

Old Whittington, Derbyshire.
Reply #2 - Jun 6th, 2023, 10:33am

It is certainly worrying, especially given that NI numbers could be linked to other individual ID data. Vigilance is the answer....and never respond to phone calls from unknown sources.

IP Logged

Dickie Mint

Solihull, West Midlands
Reply #3 - Jun 6th, 2023, 8:13pm

From 'The Register':

Quote:
The BBC said data stolen included staff ID numbers, dates of birth, home addresses, and national insurance numbers.

Hoping "staff ID numbers" means existing staff, not pensioners. Though I don't expect an IT journalist to spot the difference!

Regards,
Richard

IP Logged

TomT
YaBB Newbies

Hythe Kent
Reply #4 - Jun 7th, 2023, 7:14am

I have asked the Pension service if the hacking affected pensioners and am awaiting a reply.

IP Logged

V Meldrew
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - Jun 7th, 2023, 9:06am

TomT wrote on Jun 7th, 2023, 7:14am:
I have asked the Pension service if the hacking affected pensioners and am awaiting a reply.

I spoke to Catherine at the Pensions helpline, and she told me the they don't use the same company for paying pensions, so we should not be affected by the hack......yet!

IP Logged

TomT
YaBB Newbies

Hythe Kent
Reply #6 - Jun 8th, 2023, 8:38pm

Reply from Pensions:
Thank you for contacting us through myPension online.

The BBC recently learned of a data breach involving its third party payroll provider, Zellis.
Zellis do not operate the BBC Pension Scheme pensioner payroll or provide any other services to the BBC Pension Scheme and this data breach does not directly affect the Scheme.
The BBC is contacting individuals who may have been affected. This includes current employees and some freelancers as well as some who left employment in recent years.  Please check bbc.com/159 for more information and the latest updates.

If you have any further questions, do not hesitate contact us.
Kind Regards

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print