Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
BBC’s role in secret activities during World War 2 (Read 2264 times)
Dickie Mint

Solihull, West Midlands
BBC’s role in secret activities during World War 2
Sep 4th, 2019, 4:44pm

Regards,
Richard

IP Logged

engineer
YaBB Newbies

Re: BBC’s role in secret activities during World War 2
Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2019, 8:46pm

This story puzzled me rather.  I don't think there's much here that isn't very old news indeed.

I hadn't previously heard of the Poles and their music, but the use of the BBC to disseminate coded messages via the "messages personnelles" has been known about for a very long time.  So the detail may be a new disclosure, but the principle certainly isn't.

I think the knowledge of recorded versions of Big Ben probably date to the disclosure of WN's role as the wartime emergency centre.  The use of AP for jamming enemy bombing aids was in R V Jones's book of the mid-seventies (which, incidentally, formed the basis of a BBC documentary series at the time).

There's some very sloppy journalism going on here - sadly, this seems to be more and more the norm these days.  It's almost like someone is trying to pass a Pres trail off as news.

IP Logged

Burstner55
Ex Member

Re: BBC’s role in secret activities during World War 2
Reply #2 - Sep 5th, 2019, 11:42am

There's some very sloppy journalism going on here - sadly, this seems to be more and more the norm these days.  It's almost like someone is trying to pass a Pres trail off as news. [/quote] Which is, on a Monday at least, the norm. This week two items of news at 6pm were trails for Panorama and a Regional Opt-out....but what really annoys our household is when the regional programme's top story is a complete re-run of what we have just heard on the national bulletin.  It was a very questionable judgement to start Look North with "Local MP (Hilary Benn) speaks in Parliamentary Brexit row" when we had just had about 20 tedious minutes of Parliamentary hoo-ha. Big Switch Off !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print