Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
News charity (Read 1975 times)
Administrator
YaBB Administrator

News charity
Mar 19th, 2019, 11:24pm

According to this Guardian report...

"The BBC is proposing to launch a new charity to fund local news reporting across Britain, in an acknowledgement that many commercial news outlets are no longer willing to pay for regional public interest journalism".

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Burstner55
Ex Member

Re: News charity
Reply #1 - Mar 22nd, 2019, 5:01pm

I am at a loss for words. Those who know me beyond my pseudonym will also know of my reputation for reporting local government and my penchant for turning council minutes into bulletin leads, packages, voice pieces and And Finally payoffs. I just can't come to terms with the way the BBC at both a  national and local level have lost the plot. Local radio is not the cause of local newspapers' troubles. That is down to titles being swallowed up by monolithic companies and their accountants shutting down newsrooms via overtime and expenses cuts. But there is no such excuse in BBC Local Radio where Skateboarding Ducks became more important than planning decisions and public inquiries; chit chat better than council tax decisions and froth preferable to fact. Risk taking was never a local radio strong point but now and again reporters were allowed to question local politicians and their dodgy dealings. The thought that a CHARITY could replace such an important checkpoint in society is simply laughable. I'm coming dangerously close to thinking that the BBC is on a death dive, that W1A is the reality, and as I sat outside BH yesterday having a coffee near my old office and watching the youngsters come and go, I became seriously depressed. Who isn't?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print