Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wasting Pension Money? (Read 14096 times)
V Meldrew
YaBB Newbies

Wasting Pension Money?
Aug 8th, 2018, 1:36pm

I don't know how many of you will agree with my winge about wasting pension fund money?

Today through the post I received a glossy coloured leaflet about the BBC myPension online, together with a nice pen engraved with the website address. The leaflet was telling me how to sign up, despite the fact I have been signed up for the past 4 months.

I phoned the BBC Pension office, who told me that this marketing was being funded out of the pension scheme and being sent to all members of the scheme regardless whether they had signed up or not.

I asked why it was not just being sent to those who had not joined already, and the reply was that it might "offend" some if they were left out!

I don't know how many people are current members of the pension scheme, but this exercise must be costing thousands of pounds to produce.

IP Logged

Amigo

Re: Wasting Pension Money?
Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2018, 2:49pm

Agreed.

I can buy cheap biros from a local shop.

I received my cheap biro via international post today.

Who’s bright idea was this farce?

Sad

IP Logged

CBlockley
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - Aug 9th, 2018, 1:29pm

Agreed,  if interested you probably have already registered!

IP Logged

Mikej

Reply #3 - Aug 9th, 2018, 5:18pm

Ah but the pen did have a rubber end tip so you can poke at your mobile phone. Bet it doesn't last as long as a
pensioners finger tip!

IP Logged

John

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - Aug 9th, 2018, 7:20pm

How long before we see these on eBay?

IP Logged

JohnW

Eggington, Bedfordshire
Reply #5 - Aug 10th, 2018, 2:04am

I got the leaflet in my envelope, but (because it hadn't been sealed down adequately) there was no pen included!! Sad
So if you do see one on eBay it might be that someone from Royal Mail is flogging mine!! Tongue
I'm not really fussed since I still have a small stock of BBC-branded pens to use, some of which must be 20 years old by now!! Cheesy

John-Westbury  
IP Logged

Mark_H
YaBB Newbies

Reply #6 - Aug 13th, 2018, 10:41pm

I joined partly so I could rant at that stupid, rubber-band-powered thing that snaps into a cube when you take it out of its envelope. Purpose apparently to make me aware of and encourage me to log into the online BBC pensions site (which I already had done way before getting this mailing).

Who ever thought this sort of gimmick was appropriate for BBC Pensions? Just stupid.

IP Logged

apcwmwl

Reply #7 - Aug 14th, 2018, 4:10pm

Just a quicky: especially to John W: Did your manager never tell you that BBC pens are set to self destruct 11 minutes after use? Smiley

apcwmwl  
IP Logged

apcwmwl

Reply #8 - Aug 14th, 2018, 4:14pm

You really don't understand V Meldrew, the everlasting self perpetuating oligarchy that was and still is "the BBC". We get very reasonable service from Pensions so stop moaning!

apcwmwl  
IP Logged

apcwmwl

Reply #9 - Aug 14th, 2018, 4:15pm

If you are really that concerned, I'll send you the 75p which it cost!

apcwmwl  
IP Logged

V Meldrew
YaBB Newbies

Reply #10 - Aug 15th, 2018, 8:27am

apcwmwl wrote on Aug 14th, 2018, 4:15pm:
If you are really that concerned, I'll send you the 75p which it cost!

That is a very kind offer. Perhaps you could send the 75p to a charity of your choice on my behalf?

We are indeed lucky to have such a good Pension Scheme, but that does not mean it should not be accountable to scrutiny.

I was concerned about what I thought was an unnecessary cost to the Pension Scheme. I can understand promoting the online method, but it does not require a pen and a coloured leaflet to do that, and to send it to members that are already signed up..

Do you know for a fact it cost 75p per person to design and print the leaflet, buy the pen and post it out? You seem very sensitive to my posting. Perhaps you are a Trustee or one of the marketing team?

Do you know the overall cost?  There are over 50,000 members of the Scheme, which as a rough guess makes this marketing excercise cost £37,500.

IP Logged

double-vision

I Love YaBB 2!
Scotland
Reply #11 - Aug 15th, 2018, 12:36pm

75pence! Small beer once our pension increases are forced onto the C.P.I. method!
Dave

IP Logged

apcwmwl

Reply #12 - Aug 15th, 2018, 4:01pm

What we must all remember is that chap Gordon Brown who denuded us all from being members of a pension scheme that was capable of paying every member of it whether working or not, and still have leftover a substantial amount in reserve. Never should be forgotten or forgiven - shear jealosy despite knowing that he would have a mega payout evenif he had only been a member of his parliamentary scheme for a matter of days - & that was non contributory. I'm sure he can sit back on his laurels now - hope they are prickly!

apcwmwl  
IP Logged

apcwmwl

Reply #13 - Aug 16th, 2018, 8:50am

A little thought on the part of the pension staff in Cardif could have saved at least the postage on last week's bit of bumff. Today arrived the Annual summary £1bn in the red if scheme were to need to pay out everything. So maybe Victor was right! Undecided

apcwmwl  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print