Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
oldSMs.co.uk (Read 5056 times)
apcwmwl

oldSMs.co.uk
Apr 4th, 2018, 1:38pm

I'm hoping for some enlightenment. Until quite recently the above site was available and contained a fascinating archive of membership of many of the training courses from the 1960s including course photographs. It would appear that the site has been removed -
[i]"This website is unfortunately no longer available, it will not be compatible with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) which comes into force in 2018. The site will not return."[/i]
If anyone has any idea of the original author, I would be grateful to hear from them.
Many thanks.

apcwmwl  
IP Logged

JohnW

Eggington, Bedfordshire
Re: oldSMs.co.uk
Reply #1 - Apr 5th, 2018, 12:52am

I wonder whether this is sadly an 'unintended(?) side effect' of the GDP Regulation (which was adopted by the EU on 27th April 2016 - although it won't be enforced in the UK until 25th May 2018!) and which is intended, in this age of Social Media, to give individuals greater control of any data concerning them which might be described as "Personally Identifiable Information", such as who exactly has that information, and what they can do with it.

The owner of the site concerned may simply be unwilling (or indeed unable!) to contact all those SMs/TOs/TAs and DEs (plus any others I've missed out!) to obtain their individual consent for such information about them to be displayed - even if that is purely for the purpose of maintaining an archive!
Holding such information would technically, under this new Regulation, make the site owner a "Data Controller" - and as such would henceforth place upon them great responsibility for the security of that data. They might need to employ the services of a Data Protection Officer to guide them as to how to safeguard the information, where it might be stored (and for how long!), who should be able to see it, etc. since there is now the potential for compensation claims against them should an individual suffer loss or damage due to any 'data breach' of such a store.

As to who might have been the site's author, I regret I cannot assist!

John-Westbury  
IP Logged

apcwmwl

Reply #2 - Apr 6th, 2018, 2:36pm

Thanks John. I did realise the reason for the withdrawal of the site, and this not only affects social sites but has ramifications for anybody who is involved in anything like charities big & small and businesses which may keep records of customers on invoices etc. This is a very flawed piece of legislation handed down from Brussels, but of course followed to the letter by our weak and non government. It is to be hoped that after the equal stupidity of Brexit our country may become a little more responsive to public opinion instead of tugging at the forelock of some petty official who hasn't anything better to do than concoct mad-brained schemes to keep themselves in their highly paid worthless employment.

apcwmwl  
IP Logged

simonm
YaBB Newbies

Bristol
Reply #3 - Apr 16th, 2018, 5:19pm

That's a dreadful shame. One of those horrid unintended consequences of legislation.

I sincerely hope there's an archive somewhere - you might try the Wayback machine too.

Simon (A56, which sadly had no course photo up there!)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print