Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bill Chesneau (Read 838 times)
Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Bill Chesneau
Jun 25th, 2017, 7:11pm

Anyone know the whereabouts of Bill Chesneau Sound recordist TFS?

Please PM Admin, and we'll pass on the info.

Thanks.

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Maggie

London W11
Re: Bill Chesneau (Sound Recordist)
Reply #1 - Jul 3rd, 2017, 9:21am

Bill suffered a massive stroke and is now in hospital.

Stroke Unit WARD 9
HIGH WYCOMBE HOSPITAL,  
QUEEN ALEXANDRA RD., HP11 2TT,

Bill's loyal friends, Jim McCalister and his wife Karen, are regular visitors.

Any email for Bill can be sent to this address:-

karen4bill@btinternet.com
« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2017, 5:11pm by Administrator »  

IP Logged

Karen_M
YaBB Newbies

Bucks
Re: Bill Chesneau
Reply #2 - Jul 5th, 2017, 12:48pm

Thank you for your kind words, Maggie. (Please all note, our surname is McAlister, though we are used to it being spelt all kinds of ways so don't worry!)  Thank  you also for suggesting we join this forum in order to give updates, answer any questions anyone may have, or to pass on to Bill any message anyone wishes to email to us at karen4bill@btinternet.com.

Yes, Bill suffered his massive stroke on 27 April, just a few weeks following Valerie's death in March.

The stroke affected Bill's right arm and right leg and also took away is speech.  He was very poorly for quite some time.

Thankfully he is now making a remarkable recovery and he has regained some movement in the affected limbs.  However, it seems very unlikely that he will regain his speech.  That doesn't stop him talking though!  He is really quite cheerful and still has that cheeky smile and twinkle in his eye and he will chat away and tell us funnies - mind you, we can't understand what on earth he is telling us!  

What he hasn't lost, thank goodness, is his understanding of language;  he can follow a conversation and he can answer a straight question with a thumbs up or thumbs down, and he does recognise people and has been thrilled to see the couple of other people - and Maggie of course - who have visited him.  

We think he's getting a bit bored with just Jim and me now!  It would be wonderful if other ex-colleagues would visit him.  What he really needs right now is the stimulation of visitors, conversations and new 'old' faces.  It worked really well when Maggie visited him together with Nigel (DoP) as they chatted and reminisced and Bill listened in avidly as well as jumping in with his own take on the subject.  He enjoyed that so much and it was good to get his brain perked up.

Just these last few days we've discovered that Bill can now read again, so that's another leap forward.  He always loved his crime thrillers.  We've taken in our laptop to show him the Jacqui Lawson ecard that Maggie sent and he loved it;  sadly though, when we suggested that he might like to try typing something into a Word document he refused, so maybe it is still too early for him to form words for himself, rather than reading existing words (IYSWIM).

Should anyone wish to visit Bill we should warn you that Ward 9 in the Stroke Unit is quite difficult to find.  If you'd like to email me I can give you directions.

That's about it for now but I will do my best to give you regular updates.

And thanks, Irvine, for admitting Jim and I to the forum.

Best wishes to all,
Karen McAlister

Jim:  ex-Assistant Sound Recordist to Bill, then ex-Sound Recordist at Ealing, then ex-Black Box Video.

IP Logged

Maggie

London W11
Reply #3 - Jul 5th, 2017, 1:00pm

Marvellous Karen, apologies for the type-error (I at least have it right in my address book) I do hope that old BBC friends will respond. It is not easy to track with the many categories available but I believe one can put a name in the top right hand SEARCH slot on the HOME page. x

IP Logged

Karen_M
YaBB Newbies

Bucks
Reply #4 - Jul 6th, 2017, 12:28pm

No worries about your typo Maggie, there are so many variations of our name that we get a different version every day!

Yesterday when we visited Bill we met Martin Patmore, who has been visiting Bill every week but we didn't know as this was the first we bumped into him.  Thank you so much, Martin.

Thanks also to Dick Manton - Martin told us that you have visited too.

This is just what Bill needs  Smiley

Bill looked quite different when we saw him yesterday.  His white beard had become quite long and luxurious while he's been in hospital so that he was almost looking like Santa Claus!  But it was irritating him being so long.  Well, someone had done a hack job!  But at least it is now short and manageable and his 'tash no longer hangs into his drinks!

More when we see him tomorrow or Saturday...

IP Logged

Karen_M
YaBB Newbies

Bucks
Reply #5 - Jul 11th, 2017, 2:09pm

I just wanted to let everyone know some good news!

This afternoon Bill was transferred to the Rehabilitation Unit at Amersham Hospital.

Once he's settled he will be receiving intensive Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy and Speech Therapy (and goodness knows what other therapy!) which is just what he needs.  He was beginning to stagnate and really needs stimulation and motivation.

He was actually very lucky to be admitted to this Unit as they only have 17 beds and so have to be very picky about who they accept.

You can read about the unit here:
http://www.buckshealthcare.nhs.uk/Our%20clinical%20services/A%20to%20Z%20of%20cl...

and see details re visiting, etc, here:
http://www.buckshealthcare.nhs.uk/Our%20clinical%20services/Wards%20and%20visiti...

Rehabilitation Unit - Amersham Hospital
Whielden Street
Amersham
Buckinghamshire HP7 0JD

IP Logged

Karen_M
YaBB Newbies

Bucks
Reply #6 - Jul 14th, 2017, 1:57pm

We saw Bill on Wednesday at the Rehab Unit and he had already settled in well, thank goodness.  

I say 'thank goodness' as we heard from Martin Patmore on Tuesday (the day of Bill's transfer) that he had visited Bill at Wycombe Hospital and was there while the nurses were packing up Bill's things and apparently Bill was really upset and distressed about the move.

Bill has a very nice room, nice and roomy with an en-suite and equipped with microwave, kettle and fridge (we suppose the kitchen equipment is for learning to make food and drinks with an Occupational Therapist - in fact the room is named the 'Independence Room').  The staff did say he may be moved to another room in time, but at the moment he is well settled and cheerful.

We were told that Bill had had a busy morning, which is understandable as all the Therapists needed to meet him and discuss his needs and treatment.

Simon Simpson was with us and Bill was delighted to see his mate, as well as us.

Should you wish to visit him, head for the Neurorehabilitation Unit.  This is on level 1.  As you exit the lift turn left, then left again (you pass through the Rheumatology waiting area which has lots of grey armchairs).

Visiting is between 3 and 8pm, which allows for patients to enjoy their intensive therapies in the morning  Wink

So the correct address is in fact:
Neurorehabilitation Unit - Amersham Hospital
Whielden Street
Amersham
Buckinghamshire HP7 0JD

We will, of course, keep you updated as soon as we hear any more info.

IP Logged

Karen_M
YaBB Newbies

Bucks
Reply #7 - Jul 22nd, 2017, 3:16pm

I’ve just had a thought – amazing I know, with this Old Woman’s Brain Syndrome that I have!

It will be Bill’s 80th Birthday on Monday 07 August.  Maybe members of this forum would like to send him sacks full of birthday cards and best wishes?

Bill Chesneau
“The Independence Room”
Neurorehabilitation Unit
Amersham Hospital
Whielden Street
AMERSHAM
Bucks  HP7 0JD

Jim and I, together with Simon Simpson (and hopefully Martin Patmore too) will certainly be visiting him and we’re hoping to make “a bit of a do” about his special day so some cards would be wonderful.  

We had hoped the hospital will allow Bill to have a sip or several of the champagne we planned to take but we've been told he shouldn't have alcohol for at least two years after his stroke (crikey!) because he's on blood thinning meds and alcohol thins the blood.  So I'll have to try and find something else if I can't find a non-alcoholic fizzo.  It's not as if we were going to pour a whole bottle down his neck!!  Oh well, best not take any chances.  

Should anyone else wish to visit him on that his birthday could we please liaise so that we can stagger the times, please, as Bill is only supposed to have 3 visitors at a time.  He's now got an email address on my computer, which is given below.  Visiting is between 3pm and 8pm - it's best to avoid the evening meal time which is usually somewhere between 5pm and 6pm.

OK, I’ll let you know promptly if I have anymore brainwaves.  You never know, it could happen!

Bill is doing well in the Rehab Unit.  A few days ago when we got there the Speech Therapist was with him so we had to wait a few minutes.  But we did spot that he was using flash cards with the alphabet on them.  It's hard to get your head around the fact that he can read, but he can't plan how to put letters together to spell words.

We saw him again yesterday and he was very cheerful.  At our suggestion his son had taken in the very nice small TV that Bill had in his kitchen.  Jim set it all up and tuned it, etc, so that Bill could watch The Proms' John Williams concert last night.

Tomorrow we will visit again.  I have some suitable attire for his physio sessions take in and we want to hear whether he'd been able to watch The Proms as we'd hoped.

We have no idea as yet how long Bill will be staying in the Rehab Unit, or what will happen afterwards, whenever that is.  All we know is that we have high hopes that the help he is now getting will help  him to make even more progress.  He IS doing well.

Karen

Bill’s email address on my computer:  karen4bill@btinternet.com

IP Logged

Karen_M
YaBB Newbies

Bucks
Reply #8 - Jul 24th, 2017, 12:31pm

Yesterday when we visited Bill I asked again about taking champagne in for Bill’s birthday.  I was, again, told he cannot have alcohol for at least two years after the stroke because he is on blood thinning medication.  Mind  you, I’m on Warfarin and I’d sure miss my nightly wine!!!  I have found some alcohol-free “champagne” in Waitrose, goodness knows how it will taste but hopefully Bill won’t notice and will enjoy what he thinks is a treat.  Rather that than risk Bill’s health any further, I couldn’t live with myself if anything happened to him because of our alcohol.  They did seem to imagine that we aimed to pour a whole bottle down his throat!  

In all the time Jim has known Bill, which must be 50+ years, he would never tell him/us his age.  I spotted his year of birth on his hospital ID wristband so that’s how we found out and in fact he’s a bit younger than we imagined.  Jim is a bit younger still – well, he was Bill’s assistant for a while – though I don't reckon Jim looks his age, he’s rather well preserved probably in wine and Special Brew!  

Yes, Bill did watch The Proms on Friday evening and he indicated he'd enjoyed it very much  Smiley

IP Logged

Karen_M
YaBB Newbies

Bucks
Reply #9 - Aug 3rd, 2017, 12:25pm

Here is an update for both the NewBlueBook and the ex-BBC Staff Forum.  

We have some good news, as Bill is doing incredibly well in this Rehab Unit at Amersham Hospital.  

Apparently he can now take a couple of steps using a rollator/walking frame.  

On Friday 25th July when we saw him he had us almost ROFL because he came out with a new word – it surprised him too.  As he is so determinedly independent he wouldn’t let us help him find something on his table that he wanted to show but had got buried under “stuff”, but that just resulted in him tipping a load of it onto the floor.  Our of his mouth came the words “Oh shit!”.  He looked not only surprised but held his hand over his mouth as if to say “oooooops” and he looked like a guilty, naughty little boy!  It made all three of us guffaw and it was lovely to hear his laughter again.  So now we have “one two, one two, oh shit, oh shit, one two”.

But his speech, that is still a major problem.  Yet is is somehow learning to make himself understood, even though it is all a bit of a game of charades for him to express himself.  Perhaps we are more used to his way of communicating now, but he really is making great progress all round.

When we visited a couple of days later he was very proud to tell us that he now washes himself without help.  In fact he asked us to bring him some more deodorant.  I’ve made up a nice toilet bag with shampoo, deodorant, soap, toothpaste and some EDT and I hope that will make him feel much better, especially now that he has finally had a haircut.

He has been watching The Proms on his telly whenever it’s shown on BBC4 and he’s been enjoying that.  Bill especially enjoyed the John Williams and the Malcolm Sargent concerts.  He is also keeping up with the news on his TV so that’s good too.  I must take him in a current copy of the Radio Times each week...

On one of our visits last week we met up with Martin Patmore and Dick Manton and Bill enjoyed that.  He does like it when he has two or three plus people at a time so that the conversation is easier to bounce around.

I’m all set for his Birthday next week, on Monday 7th.  He has already received one card (thank you Mary Routh!) and was well chuffed with it. However, he was a bit peeved with me for revealing his age as that had always been a well-kept secret.  Oh well, it’s public knowledge now – my fault!  

I’ve no idea who or how many people may turn up for the Birthday, other than Martin Patmore, Simon Simpson and ourselves, but I have got some cakes and non-alcoholic champagne organised so that we can have a little celebratory soiree.  I’ve bought him a new shirt and a new pair of trousers to wear on the day, too.  If you’d like to come along would you kindly let me know so that we can try and stagger the times, since Bill should only have 3 visitors at a time.  He also does still tire quickly and finds it all a bit overwhelming if there are too many people at once.

So it’s all beginning to look really good.  I’ll report back after the Birthday event!

Jim and I are still visiting Bill at least four times a week, but sadly we did have to cut down and we just couldn't manage daily visits anymore.  We were probably boring Bill too much, anyway!

Best regards

Karen

IP Logged

Karen_M
YaBB Newbies

Bucks
Reply #10 - Aug 11th, 2017, 5:20pm

Hello, this is another update about Bill Chesneau for both the NewBlueBook and the ex-BBC Staff Forum, mainly about his 80th birthday ‘do’ on Monday 07 August.  

We ended up with a total of seven party-goers on Monday, including Jim and myself.  The nursing team obviously realised we were not causing any trouble to Bill or the other patients so they did allow us all to squeeze into Bill’s room for the duration.  We drank all the non-alcoholic champagne, which didn’t actually taste too bad considering it lacked that all important ingredient, but nobody wanted the cake for some reason (probably connected to an enormous pre-party pub lunch) so the nurses did well that evening.  We all sang that song – you know the one – and even managed to persuade the two very nice Speech Therapists to join us for a while and add their voices to the song.

There was a lot of BBC talk going on and Bill really enjoyed it.  He seemed touched at the fact people visited him and made a fuss of him for a while.  He had also received numerous birthday cards, plus numerous messages and emails that I was able to print for him so he was well chuffed!  I took along email messages (complete with several anecdotes) from Richard Boulter, Allan Haynes, Brian Watkins and Ed Dougall and Arthur Chesterman that day and there had been others over last weekend.

He did get tired though.  For him, it was a happy but long afternoon with lots of people so no wonder he drooped somewhat by about 5pm.  I hope I wasn’t rude to visitors, but I did rather engineer everyone’s departure  at that time, as I knew Bill’s  evening meal was about to served (and it was) and Jim and I know from experience that he wants to eat alone and gets very distressed if anyone is there at mealtimes.

Who visited?  Well, Jim and me.  Simon Simpson, Martin Patmore, Tim Humphries and towards the end we were joined by John and Linda Hills-Harrop.  Poor John wasn’t looking too good but Monday is always the day of his injection and that does always ‘knock him out’ somewhat.  

It is, of course, quite possible that Bill had more visitors during the evening session.

And, I know that today Steve Wright will have visited Bill, Les Honess plans to visit when he can next week and Arthur Chesterman will visit ASAP (probably October).

Martin Patmore had brought along his camera and tripod and he did take several group photos but we have yet to see how they’ve turned out as Martin is away at the moment.

Linda H-H did prompt me to organise a Visitors’ Book so that people can sign it when they visit and make a suitable comment (yes, even rude ones!) so that Bill can look back on it and also so that we can see who has been, as Bill obviously can’t tell us himself.  So all of us did sign it and I’d like to prompt future visitors to do so too.  Mind you, when we saw Bill yesterday we couldn’t actually find this VB, but it must be there somewhere.  It’s bound to turn up, please do hunt it down and add your name when you visit.

So, how is he doing?  Bill is doing really well.  He now has lots of movement with both right limbs, which had initially been paralysed.  There doesn’t seem to be a lot of strength in them, but at least he has movement back and that’s good.  His major problem remains his speech;  he still cannot articulate what he is trying to say, but he continues to make lots of gestures to act it out.  I remember in my last update I mentioned that this is like a game of charades and would you believe it, a game of Charades has appeared – obviously a birthday present from someone but we don’t know from whom.  Whoever sent it, what a splendid idea and thank you.  

Between Bill’s birthday on Monday and our next visit, which was Wednesday, Bill had been moved to another room.  So for future reference, he is no longer in the Independence Suite – visitors need to search him out in Bed Room 3.  This is such a shame as the original room was nice and big and airy, but this room is much smaller and a bit grim, to be honest.  The worst of it is that this room doesn’t have an aerial socket so he can’t plug his TV in, and tonight The Proms concert is Oklahama conducted by John Wilson and we know Bill really wanted to watch this.  Hopefully he’ll be able to catch it in the Day Room.

We understand that the Consultant/Nursing Team/Therapists, etc, held a Case Conference on Wednesday to talk abut Bill’s progress and future.  We have asked for information about the outcome of this Case Conference and it is so frustrating that we received the usual answer that we weren’t really surprised at – they couldn’t tell us anything at all because we are not relatives.  I have emailed Bill’s son but my email bounced back so will have to wait until I can talk to his wife, Lidia, and hopefully she can tell us what happened.  I worry that moving Bill out of the Independence Suite may be as a result of the Case Conference – maybe they feel he has reached a point of independence that will not improve further, who knows and I am just guessing/assuming.  If that is the case, we wonder what will happen next.  Bill has been in the Rehab Unit since 11 July, which is four weeks – maybe that’s the sort of timescale they have in mind for keeping patients (guessing again).

We’ll be sure to let you know as soon as we hear/know anything.

Finally, my apologies for taking so long to send this update about Bill’s birthday, it has been one of those weeks!  Sorry, too, that this got rather lengthy!

Best wishes to everyone, and thanks again to all of you who sent Bill all those lovely cards and messages.

Have a good weekend.  Regards
Karen
karen4bill@btinternet.com

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print