Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Janet Mitchell (Read 5243 times)
Geoff F
YaBB Newbies

Norfolk
Janet Mitchell
Nov 1st, 2015, 12:35am

Does anyone have any info on Janet Mitchell? We were both on TO19 at Wood Norton in 1964. She became a BBC Radio Drama SM and later PSM4. In due course she retired and I believe she was living in High Wycombe for a while.

IP Logged

JohnW

Eggington, Bedfordshire
Re: Janet Mitchell (updated)
Reply #1 - Nov 3rd, 2015, 9:43am

Geoff F - I've asked around, as I also remembered Janet (albeit from the 80s). Here's the information that has surfaced.

Janet Mitchell :  4th July 1943 to 3rd February 2009.  Her woodland funeral was at Dorking Cemetery on 12th February 2009.
She had fought a long battle with cancer.

Strictly, she never was 'PSM 4' but she was appointed as Assistant Manager Operations (AManOps) 4, so the successor to APSM 4.

She had taken voluntary redundancy/early retirement when the traditional SM group structure was abolished in the mid '90s, and had moved from her long term place of residence (in West Ewell) to a small village West or South West of High Wycombe.

Colin Duff vaguely recalls "she did eventually give up smoking, having been a regular smoker for most of her life. Janet always spoke and fought for the underdog, but by then everyone in the department were sorely oppressed by the senior management imposed by Resources Directorate, so she (like a lot in those days) felt overwhelmed."

[Andrew Latham, Colin and Ann are all wondering just who it is that's asking, behind the Geoff F handle.]
« Last Edit: Nov 3rd, 2015, 4:19pm by JohnW »  
John-Westbury  
IP Logged

Geoff F
YaBB Newbies

Norfolk
Re: Janet Mitchell
Reply #2 - Nov 4th, 2015, 10:57am

John W - Thank you for your information about Jan. I am shocked and saddened to hear of her far too early death at 65 - no age at all these days. She will always be as she was at 22 in my memory - the last time I saw her was in the spring of 1965.

Are Colin, Ann and Andrew former colleagues/friends of hers?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print