Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sally Hardcastle (Read 9371 times)
aashton

Sally Hardcastle
Nov 20th, 2014, 11:09am

Sally Hardcastle, the broadcaster and journalist has died.
Sally, daughter of the late Bill Hardcastle. Daily Mail editor and presenter of the World at One, worked on the World Tonight for many years.
A colleague of hers, Harry Schnieder, has written the following tribute.
Sally Hardcastle joined the World Tonight programme on Radio 4 as a reporter in the 1908s. She had previously worked only in print journalism and TV, but quickly felt at home in the new medium.
With a pleasant broadcasting voice and able to work fast under pressure, she soon became an asset to the programme, contributing both short factual interviews and reports  and longer in-depth features. She had a talent for making interviewees feel at ease - even those who had never broadcast before. She had useful contacts in the world of politics, industry, business and the social services.
She reported regularly and knowledgeably on the affairs of the European Union - especially from the European Parliament and from summit meetings, including the Maastricht Treaty negotiations.
It was suggested that she should become a presenter on Radio4, but she always refused such offers, saying she wanted to be and remain a reporter.
Sally was popular among producers, editors and fellow reporters. Her infectious laugher and talk livened many an editorial conference, not to mention the bars in the European Parliament.  

IP Logged

aashton

Re: Sally Hardcastle
Reply #1 - Nov 20th, 2014, 11:12am

Apologies - that should read Harry Schneider, retired World Tonight producer.

IP Logged

aashton

Reply #2 - Nov 20th, 2014, 11:14am

And yet again - 1980s.
I must learn to spell properly when writing under pressure.
Bit late now I can hear some of you saying. Poor old Badger well past it.

IP Logged

chris west

Spain
Reply #3 - Nov 20th, 2014, 12:10pm

Not me Badger. I'm thinking pots and kettles.....

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Reply #4 - Dec 1st, 2014, 8:38am

Sally's funeral will be on Friday 5th December at 11:00 at St Stephen's methodist church, Shepherds Bush followed by the burial at 12:30.  There will be drinks in a local pub afterwards.

The Administrator.

IP Logged

aashton

Reply #5 - Dec 2nd, 2014, 12:40pm

Please note that the funeral is at the Agnew Road church in Shepherd's Bush. 1100 Friday.
For directions go on line and find the church.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print