Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dave Mulkeen (Read 9990 times)
TomT
Ex Member

Dave Mulkeen
Jul 31st, 2013, 7:08am

Dave was a former Transcription Recording Unit recording engineer and producer based at Kensington House. In the late 60s and early 70s he worked on many of the early stereo and now legendary rock sessions for Radio 1 such as "Bowie at the Beeb"
After winning the battle with throat cancer in 2010 he was taken to hospital in early June with a bad chest infection and less than three weeks after lung cancer was diagnosed, he lost his final battle on 25th June 2013, the morning of his 30th wedding anniversary.
Dave lived in Taurinaya - France with his wife, the novelist Mari Craw, and long time friend and colleague, Pete Freshney.
Known as the Three Musketeers all three were inseparable and had worked for the Transcription Service. He will be missed by his many friends.
His funeral has taken place at Perpignon - France.

IP Logged

SandyM
YaBB Newbies

Re: Dave Mulkeen
Reply #1 - Oct 1st, 2013, 10:24am

Hello, Tom, or should I say, Martin! Thank you so much for your lovely words about my husband, Dave. In his heyday, he was a bit of a legend when it came to recording rock music for BBC Transcription and Radio 1 'In Concert', but he was a self-effacing, gentle soul who was extremely modest. His death came as a huge shock as he'd survived cancer once already and, sadly, it transpires that it was not in the frame after all, and Dave died of a combination of mistakes and mis-management of his health when he was admitted to hospital here in southern France with a very serious chest infection. This makes losing Dave even harder to bear. I am moving back to Dorset soon where we spent twelve happy years and we still have lots of pals. As a friend and former colleage, Tom, Dave thought very highly of you, as indeed do I.
My third Scottish fantasy novel will be written back in the UK Smiley

IP Logged

GaryC
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - Jan 22nd, 2014, 2:36am

Goodness, I'm very sorry to hear of Spot's passing. I don't know if you remember me, it's Gary Critcher here, I started working at Ken.House in 1976 in Despatch then moved into Tape Library. I always remember 'Spot' as a gentle person who absolutely loved his music. I can well remember coming across an old tape box with his wrting on it extolling the virtues of Herman's Hermits,  from 1966! Best wishes to Sandy and Pete Freshney.

IP Logged

peter dixon
YaBB Newbies

Devon
Reply #3 - Jan 12th, 2016, 11:24am

GaryC wrote on Jan 22nd, 2014, 2:36am:
Goodness, I'm very sorry to hear of Spot's passing. I don't know if you remember me, it's Gary Critcher here, I started working at Ken.House in 1976 in Despatch then moved into Tape Library. I always remember 'Spot' as a gentle person who absolutely loved his music. I can well remember coming across an old tape box with his wrting on it extolling the virtues of Herman's Hermits,  from 1966! Best wishes to Sandy and Pete Freshney.

IP Logged

peter dixon
YaBB Newbies

Devon
Reply #4 - Jan 12th, 2016, 11:34am

Hi gary just came across this site and sorry to hear of Spot's passing...I worked with him at TRU and I believe it was I who gave him the name Spot (because there was a character called Spotty Muldoon invented by Peter Cook....if  GaryC doesn't see this(can't get my old head around the protocol here) I shall try to PM him now that I've posted one message
Pete Dixon

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print