Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RT On-line soon (Read 9948 times)
Administrator
YaBB Administrator

RT On-line soon
Jul 15th, 2013, 9:20am

According to "Ariel", an ambitious BBC project has finally reached the end of a journey that spans 90 years.

From Monday 15th July, BBC staff will be able to digitally search all the back issues of the Radio Times through a website not yet made available to the public.

This is the result of over three years' work on the BBC Genome project, which sought to create and publish a digital record of the BBC's complete broadcast history.

Staff will able to provide feedback on how well the website works and what might need improvement.

The information will be used to fine-tune the Beta site before making it available to the general public as soon as practically possible.

The Administrator.

IP Logged

WG

Hitchin
Re: RT On-line soon
Reply #1 - Jul 17th, 2013, 8:30am

Gosh-hours and hours of lovely displacement activity!

Mr Playlist

IP Logged

JohnW

Eggington, Bedfordshire
Reply #2 - Jul 24th, 2013, 9:39am

On Monday I received a notice from the RT subscriptions section (in Sittingbourne) that the price is going up to £90.20 per annum - due, they say, to the increased cost of paper and new Royal Mail postage costs. The increase is due to kick in on 30/8/2013.

I fear therefore that, with the EPG that is available nowadays via FreeView/FreeSat and other digital platforms, this will signal the slow death of the beloved 'Parish newsletter' (as Wogan used to refer to it).

John-Westbury  
IP Logged

Roundabout

Reply #3 - Jul 24th, 2013, 9:04pm

I think the move is called 'Constructive Destruction'

IP Logged

WG

Hitchin
Reply #4 - Jul 27th, 2013, 9:23am

Two sensible suggestions as alternatives......

TV Guide....free comprehensive on line service across Freeview/Freesat etc, also available as a brilliant smartphone app ....

The Sunday Times Culture magazine TV section. Not as much detail as RT obviously--but a good comprehensive daily scroll out of a weeks free to air and a few more channels, daily highlights, TV review and two/three pages weekly film schedule.

Of course--if you must have the RT editorials and casts including the sofa and holiday cottage ads--then these alternatives will not suffice.

Mr Playlist

IP Logged

Amigo

Reply #5 - Jul 27th, 2013, 10:00am

I use the following:-

http://www.zingzing.co.uk/tvguide/

when in front of the main computer, as it's so easy to use.

I agree with FoxyFace, when using a smartphone (or in my case an iPod Touch), the 'App'

TV Guide

from TVGuide.co.uk (from the iTunes app store),

is excellent. It has been 'updated' recently and made it slower to load, but it still works well. It also has a main computer version.

IP Logged

JohnW

Eggington, Bedfordshire
Reply #6 - Jul 27th, 2013, 1:11pm

The program may have been updated recently - but sadly the Channel names haven't! [It still has BBC HD instead of BBC2HD, and there's no Drama!]

John-Westbury  
IP Logged

Mikej

Reply #7 - Jul 28th, 2013, 9:34pm

The Guardian version is very good as well on a PC and includes Sky Channels as well

http://tvlistings.guardian.co.uk/

Also has links to the catchup servbices as well.

The vertical spacing has gone a bit odd tonight but this is unusual and will no doubt sort itself out.

And of course not forgetting the BskyB version (sorry) at

http://tv.sky.com/tv-guide/

Mike

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print