Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ronnie Marsh (Read 3084 times)
Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Ronnie Marsh
Mar 16th, 2013, 1:11pm

This is taken from The Guardian:

Ronnie Marsh
by Judy Marsh
guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 13 March 2013 16.48 GMT

My husband, Ronnie Marsh, who has died aged 92, had an excellent nose for what was good or bad in television drama. In 1955 he was recruited as an assistant floor manager in the BBC's light entertainment department. He progressed rapidly through the ranks, becoming a producer, with credits including the series My Pal Bob, What's My Line?, The Charlie Drake Show and Dixon of Dock Green, on which he had a long stint. It was during this formative period that we met in a caravan-cum-office in the car park of the newly completed scenery wing of Television Centre, in west London. We married in 1962.

In 1970, after a short spell as head of staff training, he was appointed head of drama serials. There, he was responsible for many Doctor Who episodes in the Jon Pertwee era, as well as War and Peace, The Lotus Eaters, Don't Forget to Write and The Brothers. Becoming head of drama series, he worked on programmes such as When the Boat Comes In, Wings, Secret Army, Blake's 7 and The Onedin Line.

His stewardship was remembered for his refusal to allow the broadcasting of expletives: Ronnie would intervene in production when he thought the show was getting close to "dangerous ground". In 1979, the departments of serials and series merged, and following a spell as special assistant to Shaun Sutton, he became drama representative in co-productions, negotiating international deals prior to his retirement in 1989.

Ronnie was born in London. Upon leaving school in Croydon, he briefly worked for a firm of Lloyd's brokers before being called for air crew training in the RAF. He was commissioned in South Africa as an air observer, and on his return started a love affair with the Mosquito – "the wooden wonder". At the drop of a hat, he would recount the thrills of low-level flights, but as to how and why he was awarded the DFC he remained resolutely reticent.

We had a rich cultural life together, especially enjoying ballet productions at the Royal Opera House. Ronnie was a modest and forthright man who upheld the qualities upon which the BBC established its reputation. He was also a patron of the New Era Academy and was made a Lord's Taverner.

Ronnie is survived by me and a niece, Marsha.

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print