Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Yet another Freeview retune! (Read 16472 times)
Roundabout

Yet another Freeview retune!
Sep 24th, 2012, 8:50am

I understand why all the Freeview retuning has to go on but because Messrs Freeview have no direct connection with us mere mortals being above having a 'contact us' button on their website, has anyone been able to fathom out what the interchanging of the Channel numbers for 'Dave' and 'Yesterday' was meant to achieve??

IP Logged

caro
YaBB Newbies

Re: Yet another Freeview retune!
Reply #1 - Sep 24th, 2012, 1:14pm

There is probably a good reason for the changes, as you say it is not for us, the viewers, to have any input whatsoever into the decisions as to what goes where.  
If it were left to the British public to decide, then such gems as Russia Today, would probably not earn a position alongside other news outlets.
On a technical note, my TV re-tunes itself, it's one of my options.  There!
Who says we have no control over Freeview services?

IP Logged

Roundabout

Reply #2 - Sep 24th, 2012, 2:20pm

Sorry Caro as a simple 'pleb' (if you will pardon the expression) I have to manually re-tune all four receivers in this house!

IP Logged

JohnW

Eggington, Bedfordshire
Reply #3 - Sep 25th, 2012, 8:09am

You might be interested in reading this little bit (from The Register!)

An attempt to modernise the Freeview channel listing last week proved something of a failure after a stack of planned moves did not take place, thanks to complaints from Sky and a purveyor of adult entertainment.
DMOL, the company which manages the EPG listing, said in July that Channels 1 through 99 will become home to "general enterainment" stations. It also said HD channels would run from 101 to 120; kids' channels from 121 to 130; news from 131 to 150; and adult channels from 171 to 198.
Originally mooted in March and confirmed with minor changes in July, the channel revamp would have seen programme genres more evenly spread throughout the 700-odd channels pegged for TV and related uses rather than have them all crammed in below 120.
Text services were set to shift to 200-299, just below the 300-320 band, which would continue to be home to interactive, "red button" services. A new category, IPTV services, was to be added at 400.

On the day, text services made the move, and some minor channel changes were made by the likes of Dave, Yesterday, Gold and The Food Network. Argos TV made its debut too. Channels 8 and 45 were reserved for local public service stations due to launch England and Northern Ireland, and Wales and Scotland in 2013.
No detailed reasons were initially given for scaling back the planned EPG changes, but DMOL said the "further changes announced in July are on hold pending the outcome of two channel appeals".
In fact, one of the appeals came from satellite broadcaster Sky, which shows Sky News and Sky Sports News on Freeview, putting the migration of the news channels on hold. The other complaint came from an adult channel provider who had requested anonymity.

A DMOL spokesman told us the adult and news channels can't be moved until the two appeals are resolved. This prevents the kids and HD channels being moved because the law insists that the adult channels come last. Ahem.

John-Westbury  
IP Logged

Roundabout

Reply #4 - Sep 25th, 2012, 10:10pm

I always thought the change to digital would be a shambles and here it is! Just wait till the Level 4 Phone system gets onto the old analogue channels...........another shambles in embryo.

IP Logged

Peter_Neill

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - Oct 16th, 2012, 4:19pm

Not an easy option for "mere mortals" but the custom firmware downloaded to my Humax PVR allows me to renumber the channels to what I like.

I find that after I've deleted those I have no interest in, there aren't many left anyway.

IP Logged

Peter_Neill

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - Oct 17th, 2012, 4:48pm

Well, if the idea was to move the Adult channels further away from the mainstream, they've failed spectacularly! From Channel 4 HD (now on 104) it's only one press of the "channel up" button to take you there.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print