Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gillian Hush (Read 10807 times)
Amigo

Gillian Hush
Jul 6th, 2012, 2:11pm

It is with great regret that I bring to the notice of members of this forum the death of Gillian Hush. A North Region Producer for "The Home Service" she looked after respected presenters such as Brian Redhead and many others.

Ariel reports :-

"Gillian Hush, one of the BBC's most distinguished and appreciated network producers, died on 28 June after a short illness."  

Their report is here:- http://www.bbc.co.uk/ariel/18735779

I had the greatest pleasure of working with Gillian for many years. She was a wonderful producer.

Personally, may I reflect on a lovely person. On one programme I was an OB Engineer for her, we were broadcasting an edition of "Woman's Hour" from a stage, somewhere the North Region. She asked me to collect her handbag from the other side of the stage. Of course I did, who wouldn't? It's Gillian, you'd do anything for Gillian. As I crossed the stage, carrying her handbag, the applause was quite loud!

Gillian was the epitomy of an 'Old-style' BBC Radio Producer.
Highly respected and loved by the colleagues with whom she worked.

"No-one who worked with or for Gillian would forget the experience. Whether correcting the pronunciation of Alan Bennett, working with the Swedish soprano Elisabeth Soderstrom, or encouraging new contributors, broadcasters, sound engineers and colleagues respected her control, discipline and inexhaustible search for excellence."

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Re: Gillian Hush
Reply #1 - Jul 6th, 2012, 2:34pm

Radio Today pays tribute  here.

Former BBC producer Gillian Hush dies

Gillian Hush MBE, who worked for the BBC for over 30 years, has died.

During her broadcasting career, Gillian produced talks, short stories and serials for many shows including Woman’s Hour and Book at Bedtime.

Square Dog Radio, who Gillian was most recently creating work with, issued this statement on Friday: “We are saddened to announce the passing of Gillian Hush MBE, our beloved readings consultant and producer, one of the most admired practitioners of speech radio in recent decades. Although retired from the BBC for some years now, she had remained full of life and astonishingly busy right up until her sudden death, travelling widely in pursuit of her love of opera among many other activities.

“In a broadcasting career of more than 30 years with the BBC, Gillian produced talks, short stories and readings in a wide variety of genres. She was solely responsible for the Northern contributions to the Morning Story and later the Afternoon Story on Radio 4 for many years, selecting from unsolicited contributions and also commissioning established writers. She produced serials for Woman’s Hour, Book at Bedtime and Storytime, and in the non-fiction field she was the producer of (among many other things) the Alan Bennett Diaries, which became one of the Radio Collection’s most successful audio cassettes.

“Her MBE, for services to radio, was thoroughly deserved and in her retirement she continued to advise on and produce readings and features for us and other indies.”

Mike Hally, Square Dog Radio LLP

The Administrator.

IP Logged

David Shute
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - Jul 6th, 2012, 3:31pm

What a super colleague. I worked with her as one of the contributing producers on "From the Grass Roots". Unfailingly professional and equably agreeable.
I think there'll be smiles and many hands of welcome for her in the next studio!
David Shute

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Jul 6th, 2012, 4:05pm

Radio Four schedule for "The Last Word" shows a repeat transmission.

"Radio 4's weekly obituary programme, telling the life stories of those who have died recently".

"John Wilson explores Eric Sykes' comic talents on screen, stage and golf course and Eric is remembered by friends and fellow entertainers Bruce Forsyth, Jimmy Tarbuck and Ken Dodd along with TV producer Beryl Vertue. John also examines the life of Yitzhak Shamir, long-serving Israeli prime minister who took a hardline stance against Palestinian nationhood. Diplomat Sir Michael Palliser who, as permanent under-secretary at the Foreign Office, helped negotiate Britain's entry to the EEC and radio producer Gillian Hush, who was awarded an MBE for over 30 years work bringing documentaries and stories to the airwaves."  

Radio Four
Sun 8 Jul 2012 20:30

Or listen via iPlayer.

The tribute is located between 13.38 to 18.40

Gillian Hush MBE Died Aged 76.
« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2012, 6:07pm by Administrator »  

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Reply #4 - Jul 11th, 2012, 11:08pm

"The Daily Telegraph" has an obituary for Gillian here.

"Gillian Hush, who has died aged 76, was an outstanding producer of speech radio, making numerous series with broadcasters such as Sue MacGregor and Brian Redhead as well as a diverse range of documentaries for BBC Radio 4.

She was a member of the Court of Manchester University from 1995 until 2004 and served on the Board of the Manchester University Press for 10 years. She chaired the board of trustees at Manchester High School for Girls for many years, remaining a trustee in retirement.
In 1996 she was appointed MBE for services to radio."  

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - Oct 6th, 2012, 9:16pm

The celebration of the life and work of Gillian will be held at:-

Manchester High School for Girls, Grangethope Road, Manchester M14 6HS.
on 21 October at 3pm.

The formal event will be followed by a reception giving people time to meet, talk and remember Gillian.

(From "Prospero")

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print