Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
epetition to end unfair frozen overseas pensions (Read 13580 times)
Dickie Mint

Solihull, West Midlands
epetition to end unfair frozen overseas pensions
Apr 2nd, 2012, 8:41pm

Don't think this has been mentioned before - got it from SagaZone.  here is an epetition http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/16387 to end the frozen UK pension paid to ex-pats living in some countries.

Those of us who enjoy increasing state pensions in the UK can help those overseas who have pensions frozen when they emigrated!

Points from an article prepared by the ICBP (International Consortium of British Pensioners)

Over 1 million pensioners live overseas and over half of these receive the same annual uprating as those living in the UK.
The rest have their pensions pensions frozen to the rate that was in force when they left.

A recent study by Oxford Economics has confirmed ICBP's beliefs that all pensioners who live overseas already create an economic savings of more that £3 billion annually. The main sources of savings come from a lack of demand the NHS, no added benefits, no social costs, etc.
The study also considered recent surveys on the intentions of individuals to emigrate after retirement; these indicate that removal of the freezing policy would significantly increase the numbers wishing to emigrate and thus produce a corresponding increase in net savings to the UK economy of some £33 billion over the next 20 years.
Another benefit, not included in that £33 billion, is that emigrants also relieve pressure on the shortage of hospital beds, facilities for the elderly and the shortage of affordable housing units.

The ICBP represents pensioners living in "frozen countries".

Richard

Regards,
Richard

IP Logged

Peony
YaBB Newbies

Re: epetition to end unfair frozen overseas pensions
Reply #1 - Apr 20th, 2012, 12:27am

Thanks to Dickie for bringing attention to this issue.
I live, and will be retiring, in Canada.  Despite paying into the UK Pension Plan at the same rate as others for years while I lived and worked there, I find that my UK Pension will be frozen from the moment I take it, with no annual cost of living increases.  The UK Govt. says it can't afford to pay us.  (But if I moved to the US or came home to the UK I would get it!)  The unfairness is obvious.  But at the same time I am not claiming health care, old age assistance, heating supplements or any other benefits that retirees living the UK can get - thereby saving a lot of money for the Govt.
So if you have the opportunity to sign the petition or support any of the other endeavours taken on by our group CABP or the Daily Telegraph it would be much appreciated. FJ

IP Logged

Howard G

Reply #2 - Apr 20th, 2012, 3:48am

About 12 years ago when I was a cameraman in News Gathering I shot an interview with the Minster in charge of this rule after a judge had thrown a case out of court that was trying to reverse it.  He admited "off" camera that he thought it totally unfair but there was no way the goverbment were going to change the rules unless they were ordered to by a court.  The amount involved is not great compared with other things the goverment throws money at (terrorists in prisons instead of chucking them out, money for illigal immigrants  & not to mention  moats!!). I now live in South Africa and my wife and I, having paid 40 years of stamps get poorer and poorer and the spongers in the  UK who have never paid a stamp get richer and richer.
Another interesting point is if you retire to Spain or certain islands in the Carribean you get the Winter Heating Allowance.
NB My tax goes up when my Beeb Pension goes up. That's not FROZEN!

IP Logged

chris west

Spain
Reply #3 - Aug 24th, 2012, 9:34am

Just to add to your apoplexy, Howard, I note that DWP is now obliged by Strasbourg to pay winter heating allowance to all over-60s expats, and not just those who were eligible before leaving the UK, as the rules are at the moment. It appears that the UK government is somewhat put out by the ruling: from today's Telegraph:

Mr Duncan Smith announced yesterday that he intended to introduce a new “temperature” test to prevent pensioners receiving the benefit if they live in warm countries and do not need extra money to spend on winter fuel.

This is dopey logic: I live in what could loosely be called a "warm country" - Spain - but our house is 2000 feet up in the hills, and winter temperatures regularly drop well below zero. The price of heating oil rises as rapidly here as it does in the UK.

IP Logged

Amigo

Reply #4 - Aug 24th, 2012, 10:18am

We also live in Spain, at sea level.

We have had ice in puddles outside the house and a blizzard a few years ago.

This is an unworkable plan.

Perhaps simply increase the Basic State Pension to a reasonable amount, and cancel all extra payments.

Or introduce a means -test. This is fair way.

IP Logged

Howard G

Reply #5 - Aug 24th, 2012, 10:29am

It's winter here in Cape Town and it is snowing 60 miles away. Personally I just want the annual rises I paid 40 years for.
Check you have signed the petition cos I did about 6 months ago and they had NO record  last week so I've done it again but the total is far short of the 100,000 required.  Just go into the website to check..it's easy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print