Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
John MA Lane (Read 5497 times)
prjarchives
YaBB Newbies

John MA Lane
Jan 2nd, 2012, 3:48pm

Known affectionately as "Leathers" Lane (due to his love of riding motorbikes), former BBC Children's producer/director/writer has died after a long battle with cancer on 24th December aged 79.

John joined BBC studio management in 1963, working as Floor Manager on the first Jackanory in December 1965 and joined the Children's Dept in 1966.  He began a 17 year association with Play School in 1968.  He  directed for 3 years on the Cheggers Swap Shop OB and was a Senior Producer in Further Education before he retired in 1987.  Afterwards  he worked as a freelance directing many episodes of the popular European daytime quiz Going for Gold at Elstree Studios.

It was lovely to see John attending the launch of my book at BAFTA in October 2010 and for him to see again so many old colleagues and to enjoy such a happy occasion.  

Paul R Jackson
Author of "Here's A House - A Celebration of Play School" Volume 1 & 2 with a Free download Reference Section all available via the publishers website: http://www.kaleidoscopepublishing.co.uk/books

IP Logged

Peter_Neill

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: John MA Lane
Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2012, 1:40pm

He was also known for his string vests!

I last worked with him when he had a spell directing Newsroom South East about 20 years ago and he could always be relied upon to keep the gallery cheerful.

My wife, Gilly, has fond memories of Dear John from her time in OBs
« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2012, 7:17pm by Peter_Neill »  

IP Logged

Geoffrey Drama
YaBB Newbies

Re: John MA Lane
Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2012, 5:34pm

Dear John was a lovely BBC colleague.  We were in different departments but I always remember his wonderful laugh and smiling face.  I used to see him in the TVC "Canteen" having lunch. It was refreshing to see another colleague enjoying lunch as apposed to the "Club". I liked the Club aswell but in moderation especially at "lunchtime!" He was and will always be a true professional.  Geoffrey P.

Geoffrey+Drama Geoffrey+Drama  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print