Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Peter F Wickham (Read 4210 times)
Tony Austin
YaBB Newbies

Peter F Wickham
Jul 26th, 2011, 3:51pm

Peter Wickham died last week having had a longish spell of failing health. He had celebrated his 89th birthday 3 weeks before he died.

I first met Peter in 1968 when he was Deputy Head of Appointments Deparrtment. I was the English Regions ABS secretary on the day when virtually all the TO's in the regions were turned down for interviews for Local Radio jobs depite being promised priority selection.
Perter happened to be in  Birmingham chairing a board that day and after a talk with the then Head of Appoiintmemnts Department who cancelled all the TD's, Peter and I met in Carpenters Road to sort out the problem. It was the start of a long lasting friendship with a man who was, above, all determined to see that the system was true to the benefit of all staff. I worked with Peter in appointments  and when I joined News and Current Affairs he became my "boss". Peter was above all a fine administrator and a joy to work with. Rarely phased by tricky issues he oversaw the Radio and Television HR function until his retirement in the late 70's earning huge respect for his counsel and advice.

Peter was a Gurkha:I recently met General Horsfield on who's staff he had been in the far East who's appreciation of his worth as a Regimental Lt.Colonel was heartfelt.  When he left the army and joined the BBC he worked for a while at Caversham where he took time to settle to the rigours of the BBC and his move to Appointments was a really satifying period for him.

In the last years his family was devastated by the loss to cancer of his son Anto and then his wife Julie's health failed some two years ago. He is survived by a daughter and several grand children. I was last in touch with him a few months ago when we exchanged both phone calls and letters - my wife and I will miss him. His was a very valued friendship.

Tony Austin

IP Logged

David Shute
YaBB Newbies

Re: Peter F Wickham
Reply #1 - Aug 3rd, 2011, 11:02pm

Hello Tony. Fine obit. Congrats.
How ever many years is it since our paths crossed I ask myself?

You may not remember me but you'll find me(david shute) on Wipikedia
( have I spelt that right?) and at davidshute.co.uk.
I'm in Maine at the moment at our summer home in the sticks amidst the blueberry barrens.
Kindest regards
David

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print