Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ex Pats (Read 9453 times)
swredd
Ex Member

Ex Pats
Apr 21st, 2011, 12:50pm

I was with the BBC from 1957 to 1964.   I now live in North Cyprus.  However, I moved to NZ in 1968 with my then husband, Algy Longworth, and he went to work for NZBC,  but returned to BH eventually.   Anyone remember us.   And is there anyone in North Cyprus who worked for the BBC.

IP Logged

JohnW

Eggington, Bedfordshire
Re: Ex Pats
Reply #1 - Apr 22nd, 2011, 4:29pm

I certainly remember Algy very well!
I used to work with him in LCR, and enjoyed his company for many a year - from '68 onwards! He really loved to "ferkle" and "go QFO" I seem to remember!
Confess I've not heard from (or about) him for almost 20 years, when (if I remember correctly) he was made redundant in/around 1990 at the point when LCR was last re-built (and re-manned by Engineers) and the [dreaded] computers were being installed.
I am (still) in the UK, although I too have now left the bosom of my Auntie.
You may remember a colleague or two - Tony Giles, Richard (Dick) Oldman, Barry Ainsworth, Peter Mirams, Dick Chinchen, Dusty Miller, Alan Short (possibly), all still going "strong".

An ex-colleague of mine (Dave Gill) left the Beeb, joined BFBS around 2001 and was to become one of their senior men on Cyprus.
Sadly I haven't heard from him either!! [Was it something I said?]  http://www.ex-bbc.net/yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/rolleyes.gif

John-Westbury  
IP Logged

swredd
Ex Member

Re: Ex Pats
Reply #2 - Apr 22nd, 2011, 7:42pm

I think Brian (Algy) is still with us.   After our divorce he remarried but kept in touch because of our daughter.  

My cousin lived in Larnaca was an Executive with BFBS, although he retired a few years ago.   Unfortunately, he had to return to UK last year due to ill health.   I shall ask him if he knew Dave Gill next time I phone him.

I seem to recognise a couple of names,  I used to go into the studios on occasion but that was early 60's so maybe they were not around at that time.  Thanks for your reply.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print