Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The death of Allan Shaw (Read 8434 times)
martinhenfield
YaBB Newbies

The death of Allan Shaw
Apr 12th, 2011, 12:23pm

I was sad to have been away for the funeral of my good friend and former local radio boss, Allan Shaw. He was a founder member of BBC radio Leeds and managed BBC Radio Teeside (now Cleveland) and BBC Radio Manchester.

Allan believed that local radio should be part of the community and not just broadcast at it. Not for him the "amiable ape and a pile of discs" that Allan's old boss, Phil Sidey had singled out as the pits of local output.

Those who worked with him and for him will testify that he was supportive and encouraging. His "discoveries" also included many ordinary folk who then went on to make broadcasting their career.

I was his deputy for six years at BBC Radio Manchester where I saw him shimmy his way through BBC bureaucracy to achieve extra resources for his staff and his station.

He brought a northern common sense to the Corporation which had its fair share of brittle egos.

I shall miss him

Martin Henfield

IP Logged

Nigel Fell
YaBB Newbies

Re: The death of Allan Shaw
Reply #1 - May 18th, 2011, 9:17am

I was lucky enough to work with Allan in the early days of Radio Leeds 1968-70.

Go into the production office at Radio Leeds in Wade Lane and it was dominated by one man. Sitting at the top of the room surrounded by teleprinters, phones, newspapers and scurrying reporters was Allan Shaw.
As news editor Allan was responsible for the flagship “Leeds and the world at One.” a full half hour of news and current affairs in which all the staff, no matter what their background, were required to contribute.
Then there was the first local radio hourly news bulletins mixing local and national news, once again Alan's responsibility.
As if that were not enough Allan was also part of Phil Sidey's black propaganda team, spreading the local radio word to anyone who would listen.

Allan was a big man, both in stature and in character. He was the first to let you know if you were not performing well enough, to be followed by a beer in the General Wade. He was never afraid to have his say even if that meant unpopularity. I had more than one occasion to be grateful to him for saving me from the worst of Phil Sidey's wrath.

A man of high ideals, he told me that far from old age mellowing him he was becoming more radical as the years went by.

In many ways we remember the public Allan, loud and full of certainty. But, we also remember the private Allan, quiet, concerned, supportive and full of warmth,

I shall miss both of them.

IP Logged

aashton

Reply #2 - Jun 13th, 2011, 8:10pm

Allan was one of my favourite local radio managers and keen supporter of the GNS desk when I was editor in the early 1970s.
He inisisted to the then managing editor radio, Ian Trethowan, that I attended the local radio managers conferences and always regarded me as an integral part of the local radio scene.
We were also at Uplands together which we both enjoyed for the social side and were regarded by the BBC organisers as two of the "bad boys" or rather more politely, non-conformists.
A good journalist and a good all round egg.
Alan Ashton

IP Logged

paufleighton
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - Jun 14th, 2011, 2:04pm

Allan was a rather special local radio manager of the old school.  Anyone who met him, or worked for him, would have very positive memories of hisenergetic, spirited enthusiasm for everything (well, maybe not quite everything!)  we did in local radio. I met him in my days as a News Producer at BBC Radio Derby (1972-79) - and later, when I had moved to BH in London.

A good man.

paul leighton

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print