Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Allan Robb (Read 10876 times)
Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Allan Robb
Jul 2nd, 2010, 3:52pm

Radio fivelive presenter Allan Robb has died aged 49.

from BBC Press Office:-
Tribute was paid today to broadcaster Allan Robb, who has died aged 49.

Born in Edinburgh, Allan began his career at Northsound Radio, in Aberdeen, before moving on to BBC Radio 1 and then to BBC Radio Scotland.

Allan joined BBC Radio 5 Live in 1994, working on the station for 12 years, where he presented a number of daytime news programmes – most recently Midday News.

During his time on the station, he presented on the morning of Princess Diana's death, captured an exclusive interview with Nelson Mandela and presented live from Sydney on New Year's Day 2000. He also reported live from Paris in 2005 as the announcement of the successful candidacy for London's 2012 Olympic bid was annnounced.

Radio 5 Live Controller, Adrian Van Klaveren, said: "Allan had a quiet authority and warmth to his broadcasting that listeners loved – he was a great professonal and is a great loss to the radio industry."

Radio 5 Live breakfast presenter Nicky Campbell, who had known Allan for over 40 years, since their first day at school aged four in their native Edinburgh, said: "He was a great broadcaster and professional and had a quick and agile mind, asking questions that people couldn't hide from.

"It's one of the saddest days of my life. He pointed up to Broadcasting House and said: 'We work there for the BBC'. He never forgot that."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/organgrinder/2010/jul/02/bbc-newsreader-allan-ro...

"Former BBC Radio 5 Live newsreader Allan Robb has died at the age of 49. Robb, who presented Radio 5 Live's midday news and also worked on Radio 1's Newsbeat, had multiple sclerosis."

Also tributes can be found here:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment_and_arts/10488488.stm

Also blog 17 from here..:-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/5live/2010/06/fancy-a-chat.shtml

The Administrator.

IP Logged

George Eykyn
YaBB Newbies

Re: Allan Robb
Reply #1 - Jul 2nd, 2010, 8:54pm

This is terrible news. Allan was a fantastic bloke. He had a superb voice, a great sense of humour, and oozed joie de vivre. I can't think of him without picturing him smiling, taking a joke and then straightaway dishing one out. Nicky Campbell is right: Allan enjoyed everything he did: he loved life, and he loved working for the Beeb. Happy memories of days on the road with Allan, and much respect.

IP Logged

chris west

Spain
Reply #2 - Jul 3rd, 2010, 4:48pm

Very sad news indeed, Allan was a superb broadcaster, a great colleague, and most importantly, excellent company. Too young....

IP Logged

Les Skipper
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - Jul 3rd, 2010, 8:29pm

Allan was a top bloke. He was a joy to work with. He always had a twinkle in his eye, never taking life too seriously. He has gone far too soon.

IP Logged

redlight
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - Aug 12th, 2010, 11:11pm

that morning in studio 6 ...i'll never forget ...next time you bring the "damn" muffins ...

you were a bloody good bloke .....

me and Nicky and malcolm will miss you ......

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - Sep 22nd, 2010, 10:47am

A memorial service for Allan will be held at All Souls Church, Langham Place, on Tuesday, November 9, at 3.30.

The Administrator.

IP Logged

TerenceJ
YaBB Newbies

Reply #6 - Nov 26th, 2010, 1:21am

Please could anyone attending the service upload or outline the service's key moments,which music or readings were used,etc.
Due to commitments out of London I was not able to attend on the day.Thankyou.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print