Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Robert Milne-Tyte (Read 9576 times)
Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Robert Milne-Tyte
Apr 28th, 2010, 10:27pm

Robert Milne-Tyte, a former head of World Service Current Affairs (CAWS), has died.

As well as his long career in WS journalism, he was also a keen cricketer and was captain of the Bushmen from 1965-66.

This notice appeared in the Announcements section of the Daily Telegraph today, April 28, 2010:

Milne-Tyte Robert (Bob), peacefully on 25th April 2010 after a long illness. Adored husband of Linda, greatly loved father of Ashley and Alistair, grandfather to Poppy. Humanist Funeral at Mortlake Crematorium, Richmond, at 2.30 p.m. on Wednesday 5th May. No flowers; donations, if wished, to SCOPE (The Spastics Society), 6 Market Road, London, N7 9PW. Tel: 020 7619 7100.

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Re: Robert Milne-Tyte
Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2010, 5:43pm

Robert Milne Tyte was a long-standing member of the Bushmen.  Their historian, Alastair Lack, has written this obituary for Prospero:

ROBERT MILNE -TYTE, 1924- 2010

Robert – or more familiarly Bob – Milne-Tyte, who has died at the age of 85, was a central figure in the World Service (formerly the External Services) for over twenty years.  Joining Bush House in 1960 as a producer in Overseas Talks and Features, he became head of the department in 1969 and remained in post until he retired early in 1982.
Bob rarely broadcast, but he was at the forefront of important and long standing developments in World Service broadcasting, particularly in international politics, as both a producer and manager.  Bob was much involved in the creation of Outlook, still one of the most popular of Bush House daily programmes, and under his leadership, 24 Hours was launched as a wide-ranging international current affairs programme, the forerunner of  Newshour.  It introduced the interview format into World Service news reporting, and modernised world coverage both in content and style.  It had a considerable cachet throughout the political and diplomatic world.
Though Bob preferred the creative side of broadcasting and thinking up new programmes, he was also a highly efficient administrator, with a well developed ability to spot talent.  Under his leadership, the department expanded in numbers and much increased its reputation.   Many of the staff he appointed went on to high level BBC jobs, having, so to speak, cut their teeth under Bob. .
Bob was born in Reading in 1924, served four years in the RAF from 1944-48, went into journalism and then at the late age of 28 read English at Oxford.  Following his degree, he spent five years, mainly as a leader writer, at the News Chronicle until it folded in 1960.  There then followed the move to the BBC and Bush House.
At work, he seemed to his staff – especially the younger staff – a very private person.  He was tall, dressed well, laconic in speech and always the model of a certain sort of BBC, or perhaps FCO, mandarin.  He was by no means given to gushing accolades.  An acknowledgement that a programme ‘stood up’ or had been ‘a good round up’ was praise indeed, and enjoyed as such by the producers, who respected his many qualities.  
He was always very fair to his staff.  Though he questioned programme ideas rigorously  (more than one young producer felt he was back in an Oxford tutorial), he also defended his programme makers against outside criticism.  He saw programmes as all important, certainly a great deal more so than BBC politics.  
Those who knew him beyond the work place saw his charm, kindness and sense of humour.  He had a very good line in deadpan ‘one-liners’ and took a keen but sceptical interest in the world and its ways.  As such, he was for 50 years a member of the Bushmen, the unofficial and not altogether uneccentric tribe of Bush House and elsewhere.  Bob played cricket in the summer, attended dinners in the winter, held various offices and no doubt found a Sunday of cricket and laughter good preparation for the week ahead.
Some expected Bob to move on from Bush House to a greater BBC position – perhaps he did as well.  In the event, he retired at the age of 58, wrote books on history and divided his time with his wife Linda and daughter and son between London, Oxfordshire and Pennsylvania, where Linda’s family has a summer home.  An old BBC friend reports that among Bob’s last words to him were, ‘I’ve had a good innings’.  It was true.

At a Bushmen dinner on May 13th, Christopher Capron delivered this tribute:

Bob was a Bushman for almost 50 years.  He was a bridge between the first generation of Bushmen cricketers and later generations.  Then, as frequently since, there were mutterings about getting in younger players but no one was doing much about it.  One exception was Peter Saynor who recruited Bob who‘d just arrived in the BBC from the News Chronicle, which had just collapsed.  He joined Peter in trying to find younger players and I was one. I wouldn’t be standing up here now after nearly half a century if he hadn’t got me into the Bushmen - membership of which I’ve enjoyed ever since.

As a cricketer Bob, although tall at 6’2” or so, seemed determined to conceal the fact.  His bowling action saw him almost doubling up and bowling with a rather round arm action meaning that he actually delivered the ball some two feet lower than would have been possible from his full height.  The records show that on his Bushman debut he scored one run and took two wickets for sixteen.  But later records reveal impressive figures of 5 for 26 against Cerne Abbas, 5 for 7 against Chesham, 6 for 18 against BBC Caversham.  In 1967 - thanks I like to think to my caring captaincy - he was top of the bowling averages with 12 wickets at an average of 5.6 runs per wicket.

He himself was Captain in 1965 and 1966 and Chairman in 1977 & 1978.  One of our more successful dinner guests during his Chairmanship was former cricketer, better known as the former Prime Minister, Alec Douglas-Home.  For many years Bob was The Umpire, although I’m not sure that he was ever aware of this.

Personally, I owe him my BBC career.  When I first met him I was a disillusioned and frustrated Studio Manager, seriously thinking of leaving the BBC.  Bob, knowing of my interest in Current Affairs programmes, engineered a producer opening for me in Overseas Talks and Features (the department of which, under another name , he was later to be boss for many years).  For me, opening that door lead to 40 enjoyable years in broadcasting.  John Tidmarsh also attributes his distinguished career as long time presenter of the World Service Outlook programme to Bob.

Outwardly Bob had a rather severe manner.  This was a pity for any who didn’t penetrate to the charm, kindness and sense of humour which lay just below the surface.  Alastair Lack e-mailed me this morning with this story which sort of sums him up: “once he (Bob) called me into his office to upbraid me for a programme mistake. That done to my discomfort, he smiled and invited me to play tennis that weekend”.  He had very good one-liners.  John Tidmarsh remembers a match in which he hurled the ball in to one of our worst wicket keepers ever - Kenneth Adam, who preferred to use his pads for stopping the ball rather than his gloves. Unfortunately on this occasion the ball struck him on the ankle and down he went amidst much consternation. The significance of this mishap was that Kenneth Adam was Head of BBC Television and John Tidmarsh at the time was a junior television news reporter.  As the players eventually re-assembled, John remembers Bob muttering to him out of the side of his mouth “Hope you’re interested in a career in Radio”.

Bob was always very reticent about himself.  He never mentioned his age. It was only after many years that I realised he had been in the war.  He was in the RAF for four years including the last two of the war.  While I and others banged on about our national Service experiences Bob never put us in our places by referring to his wartime service.  He wrote two books - on the Armada and on Hanging Judge Jeffreys.  Although I knew him well at the time he was writing (we played tennis together almost every week) he never mentioned them until they were actually published.   The one time he did mention his age to me was at my last meeting with him not long before he died.  He said he hoped he’d make it to his June 1st birthday when he’d be 85.  In fact he didn’t- he died on 25th April.  However, in true Bushmanlike fashion he’d got the score wrong. He was already 85.

He accepted his terminal illness calmly and still with his sense of humour intact.  We used to joke about sporting clichés (“over the moon”, “the boys done good” etc. ) and among his last words to me at my last meeting with him and appropriate for me to repeat at this Bushman gathering -  “I’ve had a pretty good innings“.

I think he had a pretty good innings too.  Thank you for allowing me to say so.

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print