Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tom Fleming (Read 3619 times)
david en france

Old Whittington, Derbyshire.
Tom Fleming
Apr 19th, 2010, 6:21pm

I met Tom soon after taking up the post of Senior Events Producer in 1990 and felt massively over-awed by him. But I had no need to fear him. He was a gentle giant who treated me, as a newcomer to network radio, with patience and charm.  But it soon became clear that he felt quite bitter about his period “out in the cold” after years of being heard as the voice of television outside broadcasts.   But while we could, we in Radio cherished his presence.  I especially remember his Cenotaph commentaries and a remarkable occasion when he delivered again Richard Dimbleby’s famous soliloquy on the lying in state of King George as part of the special service to mark the unveiling of Dimbleby’s memorial in Poet’s Corner in Westminster Abbey. There were many present who felt that even Richard would have had to admit Tom did it better. His turn of phrase, his delivery and timing were so exquisite not just on that occasion but on every occasion on which he sat in a commentary box.  
He could be prickly with those who failed to understand his deep respect for the Royal Family and we had a “moment” when, because of industrial action by Radio OB staff, the scaffolding tower at Horse Guards had not been checked for safety, and Tom, told that the broadcast might have to be cancelled, climbed the tower to his commentary box against my expressed wishes.    Since he was there, the OB went ahead, with me expecting dismissal to follow. Fortunately we got away with it.
He was a broadcasting legend in his own time and when Philip Gilbert “reclaimed” him for TV, radio OBs lost out.   But I was extremely proud to have known and worked with the irreplaceable and unparalleled Tom Fleming. I shall always wonder why he did not get a Knighthood.  

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Re: Tom Fleming
Reply #1 - Apr 20th, 2010, 10:25pm

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print