Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Obit Notices (Read 5262 times)
WG

Hitchin
Obit Notices
Mar 28th, 2010, 10:09am

Is it right that this excellent site includes obituary notices for freelance broadcast individuals and well known personalities/stars ?
Ariel -oddly-love to swamp their obit pages this way-but I don't feel it is right we copy their editorial style.
For this site-I would suggest-STAFF ONLY PLEASE!  

Mr Playlist

IP Logged

caro
YaBB Newbies

Re: Obit Notices
Reply #1 - Mar 28th, 2010, 2:16pm

I don't agree. 'Staff Only' has little meaning with various contracts which people have worked to.  I think the current free-for-all is running quite nicely.  Perhaps it could be defined as 'those we have worked with'.
I really find no difficulty sorting out those in whom I have an interest from the others whose lives were as worthwhile but never touched mine.

IP Logged

JohnW

Eggington, Bedfordshire
Re: Obit Notices
Reply #2 - Apr 11th, 2010, 3:21pm

I rather concur with Caro, personally. I think that the broadcasting world we were fortunate to inhabit brought us into contact with so many different people that their "staff" status is rather less than relevant.
Over the years, I was privileged to work with many people/contributors who were never BBC staff, but I remain as interested in their lives as those of the BBC-staff I worked with.
My only disappointment is that there is so little information about the many thousands of ex-staff members who are out there! Perhaps that's because they are  totally ignorant of this site's existence. I've mentioned it to many ex-SMs, ex-TOs and ex-Engineers, none of whom had previously heard of it.
I wonder, could it not be somehow 'connected' through those in HR, such that information on those more ordinary members of staff could be made available? I do not seek to break any confidentiality or privacy, but trying to find ex-members through Facebook and Friends Reunited alone (for the generation which completed their service before computers came along) is rather too difficult at times!

John-Westbury  
IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Source of Information
Reply #3 - Apr 11th, 2010, 4:22pm

http://www.bbcpa.org.uk/docs/Newsletter-Dec2009.pdf

has an 'IN MEMORIAM" section which lists members of BBC Staff (who were also of the BBC PA) who have died during the past year.

One of the reasons this site's here is to provide a facility for all ex-members of staff to make initial (safe) contact with each other using our "PM" system.

We do have a "Where Are They Now" section, to help track down ex-colleagues.

Other that that, the site is here for the benefit of all members!
(Some) Suggestions are always welcome.... Smiley

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print