Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Jim Black (Read 13007 times)
Roy_Corlett
Ex Member

Jim Black
Mar 23rd, 2008, 5:38pm

Jim Black, former Head of Presentation at Radio 4, has died suddenly.

Jim, who came from Liverpool, was the first senior producer at Radio Merseyside when it launched in 1967 and later went to Local Radio Training in The Langham.

His funeral will  be on Friday 28th March at 2.45 p.m. at Dovedale Baptist Church, Dovedale Road, Liverpool 18, then at Springwood Crematorium in Springwood Avenue, Woolton, Liverpool 25.  

After that people are invited to the Unitarian Church in Ullet Road, Liverpool 17 (York Avenue entrance).

IP Logged

Eileen_Mullen
Ex Member

Re: Jim Black
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2008, 9:57am

And Jim Black was of course a very successful head of presentation for R4. He was part of  the team that planned the information campaign for the national wavelength changes in 1978  for which I was the publicist.

He was a feisty, funny man - a great ally and not one to be crossed.

I am sad to learn of his demise.

Eileen Mullen

IP Logged

dangston
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 31st, 2008, 11:34am

Jim, was also (of course) such a great inspiration to all who met him. Even though both of us had left the BBC (although I was very shortly to become involved again) we met several times in the last year for fabulous lunches and lots of laughs.

I'm going to miss him very much. His wisdom, his twinkle and, most of all, his wicked humour!

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2008, 6:36pm

Former Radio 4 announcer Peter Donaldson gave the following short address at Jim's funeral:

When I joined the BBC in 1970, there was one Presentation Department and the announcers worked across the four networks.  Then it was decided to split the Department into 3, for ‘network identity.’

Jimmy Kingsbury was appointed Presentation Editor, Radios 1 and 2, and Cormac Rigby became Pres. Ed. Radio 3.  Both were already announcers. But, though at least three announcers applied for the  Radio 4 job, the then Controller, Radio 4, Tony Whitby, didn’t appoint any of them.

Then, sometime later we learned that someone from Staff Training in the Langham had been appointed – and that someone was Manchester-trained Studio Manager and founder member of Radio Merseyside - but non- broadcaster, as far as we knew – Jim Black! There was much muttering in the Announcers’ Lounge!

I worked initially for Radios I and 2, but because the music we were allowed to play on the Breakfast show and Night-Ride was dire, I soon found myself in trouble with the management and decided, as I’d always been interested in News - where you can’t ad-lib! - to ask for a transfer to Radio. And so I became one of Jim’s team – one of his boys and girls.

Jim was dedicated to the job – so much so that he had a BBC telephone extension in his flat in Hallam street, around the corner from Broadcasting House and we were all subjected to calls at any time of the day or night;  “ Hello, Jim here…” and then he’d question what you’d just said and how you’d said it…….and sometimes keep people up after Closedown, to rehearse the morning links and trails!

On the whole we got on and the only serious falling-out we had was over the halving of the Today programme and something called ‘Up To The Hour’ – and me ad-libbing again!  I was nearly fired, but sense prevailed, ‘Up To The Hour’ was soon dropped, the Today programme restored and the matter forgotten.

After over decade of being Presentation Editor, Radio 4, (Sir) David Hatch – Managing Director, Network Radio, made Jim his Special Assistant (with a grander title which escapes me) and then sent him to help Pat Ewing manage the old Radio 5……..

And then he was gone from the Beeb. On the rare occasions we bumped into one another and I asked him what he was doing, he was always evasive;  “Oh, a bit of this and that.”   He liked being enigmatic!

All of us who knew him have our own memories. I’ve heard he was like an uncle to colleagues’ children, bringing them presents when he visited and teaching them conjuring tricks. He was a warm and generous man, but difficult to get to know.

A lot of the announcers owe him their careers, for giving them the chance to  broadcast on the greatest speech network in the world. Pauline Bushnell, Laurie Macmillan, Susan Rae, Denis – Astley - Jones, John Marsh, Peter Jefferson, Dilly Barlow, Harriet Cass, and Charlotte Green to name but a few ….. and, of course, Moira Stuart.

We all owe Jim a big ‘Thankyou!’

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Reply #4 - May 31st, 2008, 3:08pm

This is taken from the Daily Telegraph:

Jim Black
Last updated: 1:35 AM May 31st 2008
Radio 4 executive who made the network sound warmer but thought that women newsreaders were not up to the job.

Jim Black, who has died aged 71, changed the sound of BBC Radio 4, replacing the stiff microphone style of post-Home Service announcers with a new, more informal, approach.

As the network's head of presentation for 14 years, he created its modern tone, giving it an attractive warmth that he believed lent the station a stronger identity and one more in keeping with the growing informality of the age.

He also introduced the Radio 4 UK Theme – commissioned from Fritz Spiegel – that prefaced the day's broadcasting on Radio 4 for some 30 years, and Sailing By, the soporific music played at closedown.

One change that Black had resisted early on was the move to introduce more women on to Radio 4 as programme presenters, newsreaders and continuity announcers. In 1974 he found himself embroiled with a pressure group called Women in the Media, which was demanding that the station increase the number of female voices on the air.

The editor of radio news, Peter Woon, while accepting women newsreaders, declared that "most female broadcasters tend to sound as though they came from Cheltenham Ladies' College. What is needed is a classless voice." But Black believed that women simply would not be up to the job. "If a woman could read the news as well as a man," he observed, "there would be nothing to stop her doing it.

"But I have never found one who could. A news announcer needs to have authority, consistency and reliability. Women may have one or two of these qualities, but not all three." Black lost his battle, however, and by the end of 1974 women newsreaders had arrived.

David James Black was born on April 20 1936 in Liverpool, the son of a master baker, and was brought up over the family shop in Penny Lane. After Quarry Bank high school (later John Lennon's alma mater), he was apprenticed as a telecommunications engineer with the Automatic Telephone and Electric Company in Liverpool.

During National Service in the RAF Black became a radar instructor and – fanatical about radio – joined the BBC as a trainee studio manager in 1959. In 1962 he worked on the first local broadcasting experimental pilot scheme, and later became a studio manager on Woman's Hour.

In the late 1960s he returned to Liverpool to join the newly-established BBC Radio Merseyside as a producer. Passed over for the post of station manager, Black – who was primarily a technical man – made his mark back in London as senior instructor in the BBC's local radio training unit under Robert McLeish.

Jim Black went on to hold a wide variety of jobs, including presentation editor for Radio 4, liaison in the field of civil defence, and head of directorate co-ordination for network radio, working with David Hatch, the managing director, to put radio's administrative infrastructure on computer. His last post before taking redundancy in 1993 was on the technical side of the new Radio 5 station.

He was unmarried.

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print