Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
BBC apology!! (Read 2206 times)
Graham_McKenzie
Ex Member

BBC apology!!
Oct 27th, 2004, 1:42pm

-Sometimes the BBC can actually apologise!
-Redundant at 50 (as BBC N Ireland Editor, Radio News)and trying to earn a living as a freelance, a profile I wrote of Sir Richard Needham for a local N Ireland monthy glossy magazine was attacked during a BBC on-air "review" by a non-journalist as containing material which had been "regurgitated"
-Now this was going a bit far! Say it was stupid, or you didn't like it, or even that it was rubbish - fine, it's a rough old trade, and I don't mind that.
-But "regurgitated" - that can do a lot of damage to a journalist's reputation.
-But now (albeit after a bit of a struggle) Controller, N Ireland, Anna Carragher has written to me saying:
"On behalf of the BBC, we wish to confirm that it was not our intention to in any way undermine your reputation as an impartial and original journalist during the course of the Evening Extra programme. I apologise unreservedly for any embarrassment caused to you"
-Thousands heard the broadcast, but at least the letter makes one feel a little better!
-Funny old place, the BBC

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print