Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Favourite for DG rules himself out (Read 3266 times)
Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Favourite for DG rules himself out
Apr 20th, 2004, 1:50pm

This from The Guardian:

Frontrunner denies interest in BBC job

Owen Gibson and Jason Deans
Tuesday April 20, 2004
The Guardian

The race to be director general of the BBC today appeared to be thrown wide open after the frontrunner Mark Thompson effectively ruled himself out of the contest.

Mr Thompson, widely considered the favourite to succeed Greg Dyke as DG, told reporters that he had the job he wanted as chief executive of Channel 4 and would turn down any approach from the BBC.

Previously, he has said he would not "apply" for the post, but this was seen as a tactical statement designed to comfort the Channel 4 board and the new chairman Luke Johnson, while at the same time leaving the door open for an approach from headhunters or the new BBC chairman, Michael Grade.

"I have to say that the whole issue of my contractual understanding, I regard as a private matter between me and Channel 4. I absolutely intend to stay at Channel 4 and deal with the uncertainty and challenging questions in Channel 4's future.

"I intend to stay at Channel 4. I don't intend to take part in any process leading to any kind of recruitment at the BBC. I have a job I want," he told reporters at a press conference unveiling the broadcaster's annual report.

Pressed on the question, he was unequivocal. "I will turn down any approach from the BBC," he said.

Last month it emerged that restaurant entrepreneur Mr Johnson, who was appointed Channel 4 chairman in February, was so desperate to ensure he didn't lose his chief executive that he told Mr Thompson to "name his price" for staying.

Despite Mr Thompson's protestations today, the door remains ajar for the BBC to swoop.

Insiders at Channel 4 confirmed today that he has not signed a new contract which would handcuff him for longer than his current one-year rolling contract.

Me Johnson later said that he wanted to keep all of Channel 4's management team on board.

"It seemed to me that what he had said is unequivocal. I hope he will stay. I think he is doing a great job. There is a level of independence he enjoys here that he might not get at the BBC. He is only half way through the job."

Mr Thompson, who spent virtually his entire career at the BBC, defected from the corporation in March 2002 and many at the time predicted he would use the position to gain valuable commercial experience to enhance his chances of being appointed director general of the BBC once Greg Dyke stood down.

The dynamics changed when Dyke was dramatically sacked from the corporation in February following the cataclysmic Hutton report which also saw the resignation of the BBC chairman Gavyn Davies.

Other front-runners for the coveted director general's job include the BBC's head of television, Jana Bennett, the BBC's head of radio, Jenny Abramsky, and head of factual programming, John Willis.

The head of sport, Peter Salmon, has the support of Mr Dyke while the acting director general Mark Byford has already thrown his hat in the ring. He was one of those who applied when the BBC appointed headhunters to start the process of finding a new director general rolling ahead of the appointment of a new chairman.

However that process has been frozen by Mr Grade and will not be restarted until he arrives a the corporation on May 17.

Michael Jackson, the former chief executive of Channel 4 and former controller of BBC, is also being tipped to apply

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Re: Favourite for DG rules himself out
Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2004, 3:18pm

Or does he:

C4 chief fails to stop speculation over BBC job

Matt Wells, media correspondent
Wednesday April 21, 2004
The Guardian

The leading contender to succeed Greg Dyke as director general of the BBC attempted to rule himself out of the race yesterday, but failed to stop continued speculation about his intentions.

Mark Thompson, the chief executive of Channel 4, said at the launch of the broadcaster's annual report that he would "turn down any approach from the BBC".

Under questioning from reporters, he said: "The whole issue of my contractual relationship with Channel 4 I regard as a private matter. I absolutely intend to stay at Channel 4. I don't intend to take part in any process leading to any kind of recruitment at the BBC. I'm staying at Channel 4."

But the Channel 4 chairman, Luke Johnson, was unable to say definitively that Mr Thompson would stay, and the Guardian understands that Mr Thompson has rebuffed a golden handcuffs deal tying him to Channel 4.

There is likely to be continued uncertainty until Michael Grade takes up his post as chairman of the BBC on May 17. Mr Grade, a seasoned impresario and former agent, has said he will do "whatever it takes" to get the best candidate to replace Mr Dyke, who was forced out after the Hutton report was published in January.

Mr Thompson faced the inevitable barrage of questions after he unveiled a threefold increase in Channel 4's pre-tax profits, which jumped from £16.5m in 2002 to £45m last year. Mr Johnson, who offered Mr Thompson the golden handcuffs deal last month, appeared pleased. He said: "It seemed to me that what he said was unambiguous."

But Channel 4 sources concede that the broadcaster is battling hard to keep him, and it was clear that Mr Johnson realises the battle is far from over: "Mark is doing an excellent job, and we want to keep him here. I hope he will stay. There is a level of independence he enjoys here that he might not get at the BBC. He's only halfway through the job - there is so much more to do at Channel 4."

Following the press conference, Ladbrokes lengthened the odds on Mr Thompson taking over at the BBC. He is now 7-2 second favourite, with acting director general, Mark Byford, back in the lead at 3-1.

Warren Lush, a spokesman for Ladbrokes, said: "All the early money was for Mark Thompson, and after his comments we have put Mark Byford in pole position. Bookmakers are wary about reading too much into what Thompson said, however, and he remains a frontrunner."

Mr Thompson has spent almost his entire broadcasting career at the BBC. After rising to director of television under Mr Dyke, he left in March 2002 to join Channel 4. It had always been assumed he wanted to get valuable experience in the commercial sector before succeeding Mr Dyke in a few years' time. But the "master plan" was thrown into disarray when Mr Dyke was forced out this year.

Other candidates within the BBC include Mr Thompson's successor as director of television, Jana Bennett, the director of radio, Jenny Abramsky, and the director of factual programming, John Willis.

Ms Abramsky and Mr Willis applied for the post, as did Mark Byford, the acting director general, but the process was frozen when Mr Grade was appointed

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print