Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dyke: I was sacked (Read 2236 times)
Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Dyke: I was sacked
Mar 26th, 2004, 5:08pm

Greg Dyke has confirmed what has been widely reported:  he was fired by the BBC Governors after the publication of the Hutton Report.  This from The Guardian:

Dyke: I was fired by BBC governors

Jason Deans, broadcast editor
Friday March 26, 2004

Dyke: 'I've spent my entire life as a conspiracy theorist'

Former BBC director general Greg Dyke has admitted for the first time that he was fired by the corporation's board of governors following the publication of the Hutton report.

Mr Dyke offered his resignation to the governors at an emergency meeting on the evening of Wednesday January 28, the same day the upper echelons of the BBC were thrown into turmoil by the wide-ranging criticism of their journalism, management and governance contained in Lord Hutton's report.

He hoped that his offer to quit would be rejected, given that BBC chairman Gavyn Davies had already resigned, but in the event he was forced to leave following a long and sombre meeting of the governors that night.

Mr Dyke announced his resignation the following lunchtime, prompting extraordinary scenes as BBC staff at Television Centre spontaneously downed tools and flooded out into Wood Lane to show their support for their departing boss.

As Mr Dyke greeted staff on his farewell tour of BBC premises, he admitted to journalists that he had not wanted to leave, "but in the end if you screw up you have to go".

It has been unclear up to now what exactly went on in Mr Dyke's fateful meeting with the BBC governors.

Today, accepting an outstanding achievement in broadcasting award from the Broadcasting Press Guild, Mr Dyke came out and said for the first time that he was fired by the corporation's governors.

"It's a funny world. I've been in this business 30 years and no-one has ever given me an award for anything. I get fired and I get two in a fortnight," Mr Dyke said, referring to the BPG award and the Royal Television Society judges' award he accepted earlier this month.

He also revealed that he has had support from some unlikely quarters since leaving the BBC at the end of January.

Mr Dyke was on a beach in South Africa while on holiday recently, when someone he described as a big, burly man appeared out of the sea and walked towards him.

"He came over and said: 'Bad luck mate, they're crappity smacking bastards aren't they?', and then walked off," he said.

Mr Dyke refused to divulge further details about his departure for the BBC, or what he really thinks of the Hutton report, saying people would have to buy his upcoming book to find out.

"It's not for me to say these things at this particular venue. You can all pay £19 for the book and read it there," he joked.

But he did give a tantalising hint that no punches will be pulled when the book does come out.

"I've spent my entire life as a conspiracy theorist, which you will notice when you read the book," Mr Dyke said.

According to a diary item in today's Evening Standard, publishers have revealed that the first three chapters contain no fewer than 25 potential libels, which will no doubt fuel excitement about the serialisation rights for the book.

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print