Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Jowell slams Campbell (Read 3387 times)
Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Jowell slams Campbell
Feb 7th, 2004, 10:56am

The Culture Secretary, Tessa Jowell - whose department is responsible for the BBC - has strongly criticised "ministers and officials" for the way they handled the Gilligan affair.
In an interview with the Daily Telegraph she speaks of "testosterone-charged men in the TV and radio studios, showing off about how much tougher they are, trying to score off everyone else".  She adds:  "It's a real turn-off".

In what seems a clear reference to Alastair Campbell, she says:  "You don't need to shout and abuse people - you can be polite and constructive."

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Re: Jowell slams Campbell
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2004, 1:36pm

Later Miss Jowell denied she meant Campbell.  She said in a statement:

"I deny absolutely telling the Telegraph that Alastair Campbell has behaved in a bullying or aggressive manner or has little respect for voters. It is simply not true.

"I did say in this interview, as I have in the past, that the aggressive style of political discourse can turn off voters, but at no point did I mention or hint at Alastair Campbell in this context.

"Alastair is a close personal friend and I have always admired his life-long efforts to defend and promote the best of Labour's values."

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print