Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anonymous people (Read 8054 times)
Alan Lafferty
Ex Member

Anonymous people
Aug 4th, 2002, 11:05pm

Does anyone else get fed up with people joining this group without revealing their true names and e-mail addresses?

If people want to remain anonymous, why do they bother? No-one will correspond with them, and no-one will get in touch with them!

Come on (anonymous) administrator, make new members reveal their true identities, or bar them from the group! Does anyone else agree/disagree?

Alan Lafferty

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Re: Anonymous people
Reply #1 - Aug 6th, 2002, 3:40pm

There are two people with administration rights, Bob Eggington and Dave Brewer.  This has been reasonably well aired, but please feel free to contact either directly:
bob@eggington.com
brewer@brookmans.com

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Ian_Richardson
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 7th, 2002, 8:12am

The administrators were always known to me, but I do think it is pathetic for contributors to use false names in a group such as this. After all, it is not some dodgy dating agency site, is it. Unless Bob and Dave have been keeping something from us.

Ian Richardson (as real as you will get for a journalist)

IP Logged

david_france
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 20th, 2002, 6:08pm

UndecidedJudging by the way 64 people have read the discussion and, presumably, decided not to contribute it it seems  they wish to remain a silent and anonymous majority but I prefer real names like you, Ian, what have we to lose?
David France

IP Logged

Jim_Edwards
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 23rd, 2002, 1:25pm

As one of the 85 people who have now read these comments I have to say I agree with those who cannot see the point of belonging to a forum such as this and wanting to hide one's identity.  I suppose it may give the opportunity to make snide remarks without having to sidestep the returning arrows.  That, I think, may be an indication of what used to be known in the army as 'lack of moral fibre'.

Jim Edwards

IP Logged

David_Brewer
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 28th, 2002, 8:16am

I set up a similar forum for my village site in Brookmans Park www.brookmans.com in February, about the time Bob and I built this one.  There was a similar debate about anonymity then. It became clear that some didn't want to have their names pasted all over a village site but also wanted to contribute and make valuable and valid points.  Others wanted to use anonymity to make cheap comments and waste server space. Some took the view that opinions were of no value unless they carried the name of the person who wrote them.  I suppose, for some, it was a confidence thing because a number, who at first opted to use nicknames, eventually changed them to their real name (you can do this in the profile area).  Of course the administrators can always delete a user if they use the anonymity to make cheap comments; that is one for Bob. I tend to favour giving people the option and seeing how it shakes out.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print