Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Not In Front Of The Telly (Read 9186 times)
Alan Lafferty
Ex Member

Not In Front Of The Telly
Jun 10th, 2002, 11:58pm

I have just read Ed Harris's book, featured in this month's Prospero.

It is a real hoot, and a fascinating look at the bit of the Beeb that was truly accountable to the licence payers. I could not put it down, and loved the anecdotes.

Anyone else read it and have a view?

Anyone not read it? Shame on you!

Alan Lafferty

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Re: Not In Front Of The Telly
Reply #1 - Jun 11th, 2002, 8:22pm

It will cost you £8.95 at Amazon.

The Administrator.

IP Logged

john_B
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 5th, 2002, 9:40pm

Can  thoroughly recommend this new book by Ed Harris  Its been written with an authoritive and amusing insight  to this unique side of the BBC  and I should kow after being a Duty Offce Manager for 8 years !

IP Logged

john_B
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 5th, 2002, 9:41pm

Can  thoroughly recommend this new book by Ed Harris  Its been written with an authoritive and amusing insight  to this unique side of the BBC  and I should kow after being a Duty Offce Manager for 8 years !

IP Logged

bigjim
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 9th, 2002, 9:51am

I too have read Not In Front Of The Telly -- and chuckled, often ruefully, all the way through. It does show with humour and grace how dedicated members of the BBC staff valiantly struggled to offer a useful and worthwhile service to the licence payers despite the relentless success of the senior management in making a mess of everything. Indeed it probably almost justifies some of the Daily Mail's paranoia against the BBC! Ed and his publishers are to be congratulated on their open yet diplomatic insight into the one bit of Aunty most licence payers were most likely to encounter...but I'd love to hear the stories they dare not print! Worth every penny of the cover price and a perfect present for anyone who's ever toiled for Aunty. CHRIS BATES (a Press Office inmate for 11 generally happy years).

IP Logged

john_B
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 18th, 2002, 8:46pm

John_B wrote on Jul 5th, 2002, 9:40pm:

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print