Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Yellow Card (Read 8547 times)
Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Yellow Card
Feb 10th, 2002, 1:34am

Greg Dyke says there are too many "cynics and whingers" in the BBC.  He has introduced a football-style yellow card, to try to stop people stifling good ideas at meetings.
This is how the Guardian reported the story:
http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcast/story/0,7493,646421,00.html

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Peter_Hill
Ex Member

Re: Yellow Card
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2002, 6:14pm

In my view a yellow card with "Cut the Crap" on is vulgar and does not represent what I would ever have said  in a discussion on programmes to anyone else, least of all to a superior whom I am trying to persuade about a good idea. People do not react well to the suggestion that they are talking crap. Arguments and creativity should win. Even if the logo means "stop delaying and make a decision" my strictures still hold. Broadcasting is a not a football game. Yellow cards mean foul play; it is only a short step to someone wanting to show a red card meaning " get out, leave the room". We ought to conduct our business on a rather higher plane than football thugs.
Sorry if this sounds rather pompous!

IP Logged

John_Fisher
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2002, 12:09pm

Brandishing a yellow card in a meeting seems a highly unlikely scenario to me - and perhaps a 'green light' to people who want to avoid clearly thought-out persuasion that a new concept or idea should be investigated.

IP Logged

Peter_Hill
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 12th, 2002, 6:12pm

Well, perhaps a definition of vulgarity is saying precisely what we are thinking!

IP Logged

Ian_Leiper
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Apr 12th, 2002, 9:22am

My abiding memory of working for the BBC is that of team spirit. A half-decent team captain (line manager, Producer or whoever) is, and was, more than willing to listen to suggestions from his team (crew, unit or whatever ). I was often damn grate ful for suggestions made by my crews. Anyone showing a yellow card will be a person lacking confidence in their own ability, probably rightly, and with a dictatorial approach to leadership.

IP Logged

Ken_Franks
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Apr 13th, 2002, 12:53pm

I'm rather pleased to have left the BBC before this "laddish" culture of "Cut the Crap" surfaced.
Professional (fair and objective) criticism was part of the job. Occasionally, someone got "bawled out" by a manager, and sometimes the troops "whinged" about a boss, but the idea of waving yellow cards in someone's face never occured to anyone. It strikes me as very subjective and very unfair.

I'm no expert, but I believe if a referee shows a yellow card twice to the same person, that player is sent off.
Are two BBC yellow cards followed by dismissal?
I've suddenly begun to see the yellow cards in a new light!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print