Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
All change..... (Read 3508 times)
Administrator
YaBB Administrator

All change.....
Mar 18th, 2021, 11:58am

"The BBC has revealed ambitious plans for its biggest transformation in decades, which will move power and decision-making across the UK."

More from the BBC Media Centre, here.

"Radio Today" describes the major Radio changes, here.

"The Guardian" lists some changes in detail here.

"BBC to move key jobs and programmes out of London" BBC News page,  here.
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2021, 10:17pm by Administrator »  

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Burstner55
Ex Member

Re: All change.....
Reply #1 - Mar 18th, 2021, 3:37pm

This quote: The Learning and Identity News team will go to Leeds. says it all!
Oh how I wish I was a Learning and Identity Reporter !
Grin

IP Logged

Mikej

Reply #2 - Mar 18th, 2021, 4:57pm

Well I suppose that leaves more spare studio space in London to hire out to other competing radio and TV companies (like TC is). BBC becoming more of a property company (except in Salford where it is BBC that is the one hiring space from an outside company)

IP Logged

JohnW

Eggington, Bedfordshire
Reply #3 - Mar 18th, 2021, 11:15pm

Even though I'm now geographically closer to Salford than I've ever been before, is it politically acceptable to say that I'm already fed up with hearing about bl**dy Salford and Manchester all the time!!

Strikes me that the move to 'that area' (which must have started some 15 years ago now) has rendered little or no improvement to people's general perception of the BBC as being based on London and the South East. The need for more circuits to Manchester/Salford in order to accommodate the involvement of MPs to News programmes (let's just hope they don't opt to continue the use of personal webcams after the pandemic is over!) will certainly boost the profits of BT or whoever provides those facilities nowadays.

This "network of digital community journalists will enhance our regional news provision; we’ll introduce a tailored BBC One across Yorkshire, North West and North East England." Isn't that exactly what the existing regional opt-outs and Local Radio stations struggle to provide at the moment? And won't a further move to Salford simply mean that whatever services they provide from there be of relevance to even fewer people in the future? After all, I doubt there's going to be a huge population shift from the South of the country to the North just because "the tele's more relevant to us up thur than it were daan Souff!"

As ever, YMMV.

John-Westbury  
IP Logged

Bolshy
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - Mar 19th, 2021, 11:15am

Now, didn`t somebody once say "Those whom the Gods would destroy, They first make mad" Sad Sad

IP Logged

Delboy
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - Mar 20th, 2021, 10:34am

Am I the only one with a sense of déjà vu here? I seem to remember a few years back this same scenario.
Lets screw up hundreds of staff members lives & spend vast amounts just to score brownie points with the Govt.
Well we know how that went, TVC closed for years, the Salford move cost a fortune & people who couldn't relocate lost their jobs.
The BEEB claims to be almost destitute but they're going to throw cash about & ruin peoples lives just to score points with the govt. again.
It didn't work last time & it won't this time, the Govt. will have them over yet again, will they never learn?
Most people couldn't give a toss where the shows come from, it's purely political arse-licking.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print