Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Licence Fee for Over 75s (Read 5422 times)
apcwmwl

Licence Fee for Over 75s
Aug 1st, 2020, 12:11pm

Comment forwarded to Auntie management. I await a response with bated breath:

"As a good law abiding citizen who has benefitted from a free broadcast receiving licence since turning 75 last September, I decided to submit my details today to renew my licence only to find that this is not possible (please refer to web link). It would appear from the promulgations emmitting from BBC that the process cannot now take place until a letter is received "over the next few months" and that no matter when this is received, any payments due will be back-dated to August 1st. and monthly DD will be adjusted to reflect this. I suggest this is not in the spirit of the policy decision taken in conjunction with the refusal by HM government to pay for the licences, and could cause significant hardship to those over 75 seeking to incorporate this charge into their monthly budget. The inference is that the longer it takes for TV Licencing to contact individuals by letter, the greater the monthly DD will be! Thus if no letter is received within 10 months the DD will be set at £157 divided by 2months remaining + £75 plus, through no fault of the licence holder but because of the inadequacy of TV Licencing logistics.

I would suggest that this is inequitable and unfair.

If I am wrong in my interpretaion of the proposals, I would suggest issuing information more widely to the media in general.

A clarification of approach would be welcome. "

Any comments?

apcwmwl  
IP Logged

Burstner55
Ex Member

Re: Licence Fee for Over 75s
Reply #1 - Aug 1st, 2020, 2:53pm

Dunno what the problem is. I went on the internet last night and paid for the first instalment of direct debit monthly with no fuss. All very straightforward. Monthly chosen just in case there is a change of heart.

IP Logged

apcwmwl

Reply #2 - Aug 2nd, 2020, 11:11am

I have tried again today after your comment. If you have received a free over 75 licence as I have, and applied to renew, the message posted is:
"Thank you. Your details are correct. Unfortunately you are unable to log in due to the current status of your TV Licence. Please call us on 0300 790 6081 so we can help."
Since you applied on Friday I suspect the software had not been updated. I stand by my original post.

apcwmwl  
IP Logged

Burstner55
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 2nd, 2020, 3:03pm

Sorry, I didn't intend to sound smug. I must have just got lucky. I'm in the same position as you but it all went through ok.  Not happy about it. especially as I have never know the licence to be such poor value and am hardly listening or watching any Beeb content, not even the 6. I am paying a licence fee only because I have to by law.  So many people, even BBC senior presenters, are saying that the Corporation is overmanned with non broadcast staff, that management is weak or even non existent and that in the sphere in which I started, in local radio, all the joy and localness has been forced out of it. I can't bear to listen to the station I started with. The news is gutless, repetitive, irrelevant and badly written.  And the best comedy being served nationally  is when the BBC is itself the subject!  (HIGNFY and R4 News Quiz).  All the watchable sport has been snaffled by SKY.   But I can feel some comfort in knowing that I am helping to keep a lot of six figure salaries afloat out of my not- over-generous pension.  Don't rush to pay it is my advice.

IP Logged

apcwmwl

Reply #4 - Aug 2nd, 2020, 5:02pm

It is gross misapprehension that should the current licence fee dedicated to funding the BBC be abolished, that no licence fee for "the reception of radio and television transmission" would exist. Globally, all countries who retain a licence fee system have a mixed funding structure with the major part of the income going into central government coffers. Subsequently the independence of broadcast organisations is subject to influence from political and advertising sources.
none of us like the present structure of the BBC with its top heavy non productive executive, but I'm afraid it's something we have to live with for the foreseeable future. If anyone can come up with a way to apportion the current budget to return things like sport, drama, LE, current affairs to a reasonable level  on FTA, I would suggest making detailed proposals to the BBC Trust as soon as possible - preferably before the new DG puts his bottom in his seat.

It is at board level that the cake is divided & that is wher the change must happen!

apcwmwl  
IP Logged

apcwmwl

Reply #5 - Aug 3rd, 2020, 1:28pm

Response from BBC:
Thank you for contacting regarding your TV Licence.

The TV Licence is not actually a BBC requirement but a UK Government requirement under the auspices of their legislation, namely The Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004 (as amended) and the Communications Act 2003. The BBC, through TV Licensing, is obligated to administer the licensing process in terms of collections, evasion reduction, and so on.

If you have any further enquiries, we would recommend contacting TV licencing directly at one of the avenues listed below:
https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ11

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us.

Kind regards,

Oran Donnelly "

Does anyone out there think my comment was read?

apcwmwl  
IP Logged

Burstner55
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Aug 9th, 2020, 6:28pm

Now I’m absolutely bewildered. I’ve just read this: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/clunky-tv-licence-website-steering-pensioners...
If that’s true, because I am over 75 I am now paying more than I should. Nobody has yet told me I have dementia but I am beginning to doubt my sanity at being honest, forward thinking and loyal by fronting up my licence last week ahead of the 1st August deadline.

IP Logged

CB
YaBB Newbies

Reply #7 - Aug 10th, 2020, 10:55am

So we are to pay a licence Fee for being over 75! no problem! BUT how many staff are to be employed, at what cost?       could be cheaper to continue with no licence fee and close some stations!

IP Logged

JohnW

Eggington, Bedfordshire
Reply #8 - Aug 10th, 2020, 11:33am

CB - I fear the Corporation is contemplating doing both!

There's currently a large "voluntary redundancy" offering to staff (unless you're deemed to be too useful or have certain skills which are thought to be in short supply!) AND they're planning a major cut-back on Local Radio stations.

Certainly Mr Davie takes over the helm at a point in time when he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.
But then he can't say he wasn't aware that it was a poisoned chalice when he applied for the job!

John-Westbury  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print